"It's hopeless. We have to try the other stairs and pray to the Patrons that Hatyara has decided to play with her prey." Ylthara's hand rose to her forehead and she rubbed it, grimacing. "Though I fear we are too late. Her magic is too strong."

"Her magic?" Her eyes widening, Únik reached up to the hole her spear had created. She had made a mark, not much of one, but, perhaps, enough. "What about your magic? I know, I know, you're not powerful. What if you made a tiny whirlwind? Very, very small, but strong? Inside the hole I made and then grow it outwards?"

"I'm not certain. I ..." Shaking her head, Ylthara's hand fell to her chest armour. Beneath that armour lay the star-shaped pendant. She then looked towards Únik and saw the determination in her eyes.  "I'll try. For you."

They both stepped back, Únik moving down the stairs, around the bend, while Ylthara raised her hand, closed her eyes and began to concentrate. Únik couldn't stand it, she needed to see Ylthara's attempt and poked her head around the Ice-Kin's body.

At first, Únik saw nothing. Then she saw shavings of ice appear within the hole. The shavings swirled and buffeted within the small gouge within the surface of the ice, shifting and spinning at such great speed, it almost became a solid mass. Then Ylthara moved closer. Únik could see sweat dripping from Ylthara's chin and her entire body began to shake.

Ylthara fell to one knee and Únik held her in her arms, yet the Ice-Kin did not stop. Still, she held up her trembling hand as the miniature storm continued to batter the ice from within the hole. It seemed as though the attack was having little effect, but Ylthara still fought to break the barrier.

"That's enough. It's not working. We'll go the other way." Únik reached up to press Ylthara's arm down, but the Ice-Kin shrugged her away. "Ylthara! You'll kill yourself!"

"Just a little ... more." Even Ylthara's voice strained. She fought with her magic against Hatyara's and it was like a cat fighting against a bear. Hatyara was too powerful.

A cracking sound reached their ears. Once. Twice. Únik didn't want to look away from Ylthara, her concern for the woman she loved too much to care about much, anything else. But the sounds of cracking grew, in volume and frequency and Únik turned towards the ice barrier in time to see the storm growing within the gouge.

Growing and pressing against the ice, forcing cracks to appear on the surface. Small ones at first, but growing larger, thicker, becoming fissures until, with one last effort, Ylthara grew the storm once more and shattered the barrier of ice into a million, million pieces. Únik shielded Ylthara with her own body and felt slivers of ice piercing through her leather and wool jacket, digging into the flesh of her back.

She looked down into the face of Ylthara, expecting her to have exhausted herself to unconsciousness, but the Ice-Kin looked up at her with eyes that were now held open only by sheer force of will. Ylthara gave a little laugh, coughing at the effort. She glanced towards the shattered ice-barrier.

"You damned fool!" Únik wished she could knock that smile from Ylthara's face. She wished she could kiss it away. "You could have killed yourself."

"Could have." With no strength left to her, Ylthara tried, and failed to push Únik away. "Go. I'll be alright. I just need a little rest. You're the only one who can stop her, now. Do it. For me. Please."

"I can't leave you. Not now." Gripping on to Ylthara, Únik decided the nations of Alharai and Hagragng could go to war for all she cared. She had lost too much. Losing Ylthara would be far, far too much.

"You have to! Don't make me beg. 'Countess'." Ylthara managed a little more effort, pushing Únik away. "If you don't go now, I'll never discuss that night with you. We'll never know what might have been."