~22~ The Crown Prince

The arrival of autumn added to the somber atmosphere in the palace

It was a windy morning, Namjoon stood outside his chamber in pure white clothes.

Outside Namjoon's chamber, there was fresh blood on a wall. The empress had sent someone to kill one of Namjoon's palace maids who was a spy of the Third prince.

Namjoon could have saved the dead palace maid. He caught her reporting to third prince. She begged him to spare her life while she was being dragged to his courtyard. Why should he save her? She was another ant trapped in a cage who wasn't allowed to see her family and friends outside the palace. The wind blew through his cold body and he smiled, death was an escape for her.

"Joon, why are you standing here?" the empress asked. "It's too windy, you'll be ill."

Namjoon didn't turn around, he continued to stare at the bloodstain on a wall.

"I received news your imperial father is conscious," the empress said. "You should go and visit him. Third prince had been acting like a filial son by his bedside these past few days."

"There's nothing good to see there," Namjoon said.

"You... this boy!" the empress said.

"Eomma, aren't you tired?" Namjoon asked.

"He's your father!" the empress said.

Namjoon turned around and looked sadly at his mother. "Eomma put your hand over your heart and ask yourself if you love Appa."

"What are you implying?" the empress asked.

"How much you love Appa is how much I love him," Namjoon said. "So I don't need to see if he's conscious."

The empress couldn't refute her son's words. She and the emperor were married for more than twenty years but there was no love between them.

"Eomma, don't waste your energy anymore," Namjoon said.

"What are you saying?" the empress asked.

"Eomma, I'm tired," Namjoon said tiredly. "I don't want to battle anymore."

The True Successor of ThroneOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara