He opened his phone, made his way to the photo gallery, and took the most relaxed breath he could. But even that breath was strangled by uproaring sobs. His eyes were trying their best to focus on the screen but the tears silently pouring out were blurring his view. If only I wasn't born in this family... Gulf grimaced, his chin frowning and jaw clenched not to let a sound out.

Hearing a knock on his door, Gulf immediately sat up, wiping his tears away. "C- Come in," he choked out, forcefully normalizing his breathing. Then, the doorknob clicked and the floor clanked with a pair of shoes chattering against the marble floor.

"Uncle Samuel," Gulf bowed his head a bit, greeting his soon-to-be father-in-law. Samuel rolled his eyes, taking a seat beside Gulf, "What's with this formality, eh? No more hugs for your favourite uncle?" Samuel ruffled his hair as Gulf tried to hide his face, not wanting to show his tear stained face. But Samuel knew it already. He sighed, "Neither you nor Gawin want this marriage. Gawin's forcing himself 'cause his ex-boyfriend already moved on from him and got a new guy. What's your reason to not refuse?" Gulf slid his head down to the older's lap. "I know you're not straight either, Gulfie. So, why did you never refuse?" Samuel patted his head, questioning.

"Because I had no other choice. If I refused, he'd target the man I loved. If I agreed, he'd be left alone, unharmed," Gulf smiled sadly, regretting his decisions but still happy that Mew would not be affected by his father's evil doings, "And now he hates me. I don't have a reason to refuse."

Samuel's hand froze, still tangled within Gulf's hair, This kid... How could the heavens be so cruel to him, giving him this evil father?

He sighed, laughing, "You know, you can run away tomorrow. That's what Gawin is doing. His plan is all set." Gulf turned his head to stare at him, "I can't. My father will kill me if I tried. I'm pretty sure he won't even let P'Gawin do that. He's too cunning." Samuel arched his brows, a challenging smirk on his face. He offered the boy a deal, "Then, runaway with Gawin. If you're both gone, no one would suspect it much. Run away from the alter, it would crush your father's ego as well."

"I never understood why Amelia voluntarily married that man. He was always career oriented. Greedy for more. He never really cared for her, and yet, she devoted herself to him," Samuel growled in agony for his dearest friend, "You were still a child back then. Even in her last days, all she ever worried about was how you and William will do after she's gone. You were never close to your father." "William never exactly cared for you, all he ever saw in you was his only heir...," Samuel scoffed, "An heir. That was his sole reson for having a child. But for Amelia, you were a reason to hang on her deteriorating life for a little longer." His face contorted, remembering all those times he hadasked Amelia to just divorce thhis man but she would smile at him and simply refuse. "After she left, I was actually planning on taking you with me and becoming your guardian but William, as always, played dirty and didn't let me," Samuel confessed, regretting for not trying harder. But that was not the only confession he had to make, "All these years, I was so afraid to meet you. I was so afraid that William might have turned you into a heartless, power hungry beast like himself."

"And?"

"What?"

"And now... what do you think of me? What have I become?" Gulf querried, his eyes looking into the empty space ahead of him. Samuel pinched his cheek, smiling nostalically, "You're much like your mother. A little too much. You're too sacrificing, just like her. She sacrificed herself for you, for this family. And you sacrificed your smile... For someone who hates you now." "I met his mother some time ago, she said he doesn't hate me... Not yet," Gulf breathed out, a part of him wanting to run away now and go knock on his sunshine's door. But he could not. "Then... tomorrow, escape here, go to him, ask him to his face, "Hey, you! You still like me? If yes, let's get back together!" And then, elope with him. And if he doesn't like you, here are tickets to Canada, go there. I'll help you with your studies and career and everything." Samuel handed him a piece of paper, "Think about it. The flight's tomorrow, five in the evenining. The car will be ready in the morning itself."