Chapter 4.5-4: Limits of the Ordinary

Start from the beginning

"Huh? I've only just got here!"

"However, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to share in the life of a perfect being!"

I stopped my reflexive answer and paused to think for a moment.

As much as I'd like to turn down Kōenji's invitation, get on with my routine and save myself the mental damage of spending time with this man, I couldn't deny that I was interested in seeing just what it is that Kōenji does.

Additionally, although very unlikely, it could also be possible to obtain some information on Class E by going along with him.

And, I mean, spending just a little bit of time with Kōenji couldn't be so bad, right?

Right?

△▼△▼△▼△

"So, where exactly are you taking me?" I inquired, an eyebrow raised.

"All will become clear in due time, Spotter-boy."

As expected, I didn't get much of an answer from the blond walking slightly in front of me.

Despite asking me to accompany him, Kōenji didn't walk as if he was with anybody. Rather, he strode mindlessly at his own pace and just expected me to match it.

He led me into the Keyaki Mall, the social hub of the school's grounds. It reminded me of a miniature city with all the different kinds of services and shops that you'd expect to find in one.

Whether you wanted to visit a restaurant, cinema, salon, swimming pool, or anything in between, it felt like we have no worse access to them than we would in the heart of Tokyo itself.

It was summer vacation right now, which naturally meant that throngs of students littered every corner of this hotspot. It was almost like Kōenji wasn't aware of this, however, as he confidently navigated his way through the ceaseless crowds. It was really something to behold; everybody seemed to part for him, and he demonstrated no signs of common courtesy.

Eventually, the two of us arrived at a quaint building: the ever-popular Palate Café.

As we stepped inside, I noticed that around eighty percent of the students in here were female, and those that weren't were all accompanied by at least one girl.

"Say, Kōenji, aren't we the only group of sole males in here?"

"Hm? You are mistaken, Spotter-boy. We will not be sitting alone."

"... Please don't call me that."

To my amazement, Kōenji brazenly lead the way to the back of the café, bringing us to a half-full table three senpais were sitting at.

"Hello, ladies," he greeted, nonchalantly pulling up a chair and plopping himself down beside them. "Have you missed my perfect self?"

In shock, I simply stood there, mouth agape.

"Ah, Rokusuke-kun? Hello, hello!"

One of the girls' faces lit up, and she enthusiastically replied to Kōenji's greeting with one of her own.

She had neat blonde hair down to a little past her shoulders, and piercing green eyes, which was unusual for a Japanese person.

"Uh... who's this?"

The eyes of all three cautiously wandered over to me, who remained frozen in place. I felt my cheeks heat up in embarrassment.

I looked to Kōenji for help, but he ruthlessly ignored my plea.

"Uh, erm, my name is Kururugi Suzaku, from Class 1-D..."

They stared blankly at me for a few seconds.

"Ah, isn't he from that first-year special class?" The girl who'd spoken before asked such to her two friends.

"Yes, you're right. I heard a rumour that they're going to be promoted from Class D to Class B next month."

"Special class...? I mean, he does look pretty 'special' I suppose..."

The two other girls responded with varying degrees of enthusiasm.

"Kururugi-boy here impressed me in the gym, so I thought I'd bring him with me today," Kōenji flashed his white teeth in a grin.

"If Kōenji-kun says so, I guess,"

Momentary silence befell us. Looking around, the energetic girl seemed to also realise this on a delay, and broke the awkwardness.

"Hey kōhai~, pull up a chair, pull up a chair!"

I've been dragged in too deep to really refuse now, haven't I?

Surrendering myself to the situation, I followed my instructions and pulled myself a chair to join the table on.