Chapter 8: The Blue Shadow Virus

His offer was tempting, but I didn't want to give anything away, but I need to gain his trust

His offer was tempting, but I didn't want to give anything away, but I need to gain his trust. So I have to water down the truth. I hesitated before I spoke up. "I don't know how to do this...any of this. From a young age, I've been separated from my family, so I'm used to being alone and on my own. I learned that everyone around me was out to get me, never genuinely caring about me."

Obi-Wan's face fell. I could feel his pain as he extended out a hand out, gently placing it over one of my hands. At first, I flinched at the sudden touch, but I caved in, missing his warm touch. As soon as my hand met his, I felt a spark, a tingly sensation. I couldn't explain why, but it was comforting. I felt drawn towards him, like a moth drawn to the light. I intertwined my fingers with his, and fortunately, Obi-Wan said nothing of the matter, which I was grateful for. 

"You aren't alone anymore. You have your brother and sister, and you have me as well." He pointed out. "You have people who genuinely care about you. We won't let anything happen to you."

"Everyone I cared about leaves me in the end." I mentioned.

"We won't leave you. I will stay here with you until the end. We all will." Obi-Wan assured me.

"That woman, that man, and baby I saw, they were..." I changed the subject before trailing off.

"My family." Obi-Wan said, finishing my sentence. "The Jedi take Force-sensitive children as young as three years old to avoid them from forming attachments."

I grimaced. "Sounds awful...to be separated from your family at such a young age."

"They have the best of intentions." Obi-Wan argued. "We believe that attachments lead to jealous, which is the shadow of greed, and greed leads to the dark side."

And the Sith believe attachments are a weakness, one that must be eliminated. I never understood either side when it came to attachments, both saw them as a bad thing. However, I thought it was a beautiful thing. One thing I remember is ever since I was a child, I was fascinated with holodramas, watching as the heroine would fall in love with a prince or a forbidden love, making me secretly wish I could find that. But Sidious hated when I said things like that or had thoughts of the sort, so I learned to keep this to myself. Late nights I would watch holodramas from my viewscreen or I'd sneak off to the Galaxies Opera House to see performances.

"That's what you believe." I corrected. "I don't think attachments are bad. I think one can be with someone romantically or platonic without getting attached. Compassion and love are two things that Jedi are taught, isn't it?"

I expected Obi-Wan to scold me and correct me, but instead he wore an amused look, baffling me. Why was he looking at me like that?

"How interesting that you would say that." Obi-Wan commented.

What did he mean by that? I then saw Obi-Wan close his eyes. Before I could ask what he was doing, I was no longer in the Jedi Temple.

I was back on Tatooine at the age of seven or so. Anakin, Athena, and I were gathered around a viewscreen, watching a holodrama. Once it ended, I ran around the room, letting out a squeal. "What a movie! She was just a miner, and she escaped her homeworld to experience a lifetime of adventure!"