Making up and whispered confessions

Start from the beginning

"I'm going to have a spare set of keys made and delivered tomorrow. He made a point to say he wanted to move in right away. So you guys can just hang out at our place this weekend. I have plans so I won't bother you guys too much." Tightening his arms around her let Jamie know that Steve wanted her to be there for those plans, but they still had a ways to go before things could go back to even being close to what their relationship had been like before.

"Yeah, sure. That would be nice. If you want I can give Buck my spare key." It hadn't escaped her mind that he still had keys to her apartment. Jamie had a set made from when he'd briefly stayed with her after her near miss. After their falling out she hadn't asked for them back, but she'd known he wouldn't use them without her permission. Even if they both knew he'd really wanted to.

Shaking her head no she told him to hang on to them. "Keep them just in case. If you don't mind making a set for Bucky I'll pay you back." Standing up she grasped his hand and tugged. "Come on Spangles, I'm hungry."

:::::::

Deciding to just have their food delivered to her apartment they took a cab back to her place. Walking around all day and then to the Tower had killed her feet so Steve took pity on her and offered to pay for their ride, but she wouldn't hear it. "You're already paying for dinner. The least I can do is pay for us to get back to my place."

Helping her out of the cab, Steve rushed forward to open the door to the lobby. Telling him he didn't need to she walked past John the doorman over to the mailboxes. "Hiya John. Anything exciting happen today?"

Giving her a conspiratorial wink he tells her the most exciting thing to happen on his shift. "Mrs Rodriguez's dog went after Mr Turner's ankles again. Actually got a hold of his pants leg before we were able to get Mitzy off of him." Turning to Steve he greeted him with a wide smile. "Hey Captain, it's good to see you again."

"Hi John. It's good to be back." He glanced over at her, still a little wary of his welcome and if it was temporary or permanent. Pulling out today's stack of mail which was all junkmail she ripped it up and tossed it in the trash can provided. Coming back over she smiled up at him before looking over at John.

"I've finally found someone to take my spare room and he'll be moving in tomorrow. I'll text Tony and let him know so he can let Jose, Jimmy and Kent know we have a new tenant in the building." Pulling out her phone she googled Bucky so she could show him his picture. "This is-"

Recognizing him John stares wide eyed at the man she knew he had been on the fence about until she'd explained the truth about him. Any other person would have been skeptical or just agreed to get her off of his back but John wasn't like that. It also didn't hurt that Steve and him had had a few conversations. Mainly about old school New York, but those stories usually included Bucky at some point. "Bucky Barnes. He's your friend isn't that right, Captain Rogers?"

"Yeah, I'll be here helping him settle in while Jamie's at work. Will you be around to help show him around?" Eagerly nodding John assured him that he had no problem helping out a new tenant. Tapping the top of the desk with his hand Steve smiled back at the younger man. "We'll probably be here in the morning, Buck's eager to get moved in."

Waving goodbye, she and Steve head up to her apartment after letting John know they had an order on its way and to send the delivery guy up. The ride up wasn't as tense as she thought it would be. Content to not have to make small talk they rode up in comfortable silence. Unlocking the three deadbolts Jamie left it open for Steve to come in as she kicked off her heels by the entryway where she hung up her jacket and purse. "I'm gonna go change into more comfy clothes. Make yourself at home. I've still got beer in the fridge from Matt." She told him before going to her bedroom. Going upstairs, Jamie could hear the sound of the fridge closing and the sound of him taking the cap off the bottle letting her know he took her up on her offer. The man couldn't get drunk anymore, but he sure did like the taste of beer.