Chapter Thirty-Nine: Sunny, Saturday

Start from the beginning

"You're in a position of power now, both of you," Lauren said, smiling. "Should we be scared?"

"Yes, you should," Regan joked. 

"Congratulations, both of you," Mrs. Mackenzie said. "It's too bad I don't live in New Westminster, municipal politics have suddenly become exciting again."

"Thank you," Sunny said. "Time will tell if we'll be able to make any real change, though."

He noticed Agnes standing quietly in the corner and decided someone should introduce her to Regan (why didn't Al?) "Regan Nakamura," he said, "This is Agnes Marinville, nee Chu."

"Oh!" Regan said, stepping forward and offering her hand. "You're the one who called during our Council meeting on Monday."

"Oops," Agnes said, taking it. "Did I cause a scene?"

"Luckily, no, we'd only just started."

"So, you're a councillor too?"

"Yes. Sunny and I ran on slightly different platforms, but we were friends long before we ran for office. We volunteered at a lot of the same events."

"Sunny has three wives, didn't you know?" Tej asked. "I'm his home wife, Tori's his work wife, and Regan's his volunteering wife."

They all laughed at that, but Regan looked a little uncomfortable, and Sunny felt sorry for her; Tej's declaration had a hint of resentment in it, and it made Sunny wonder if he needed to spend more time at home, but it wasn't Regan's fault.

Sunny felt a large hand on his shoulder, and he turned and found Joe standing there, looking miserable. "Hey, buddy," he said. "You okay?"

"Hey, Sunny," Joe said. "Yeah, sorry I didn't greet you when you got here."

"It looked like you were preoccupied."

"Yeah, Joanie and I needed to talk."

Rachel emerged carrying a large bowl of a different salad in each hand, and Joe took one from her to put on the table. "Is the barbecue safe down there?" she asked him.

"Yeah, Logan's tending to it."

"Logan's turning into a responsible young man," Mrs. Mackenzie said. "I heard he helped you renovate the basement."

Joe smiled proudly. "He did. When he's graduated high school, we'll get him into BCIT to get his trades certificate. He's good at the work."

"He has a good role model," Al said.

Joe blinked in surprise and said, "Thanks, Al."

Sunny could understand Joe's surprise. It wasn't just the esteem. Those were the first words either man had said to each other in weeks. It probably wasn't a good time for Sunny to ask why Joe never visited Al at the hospital. He was pretty sure he knew the reason, anyway. 

"Joe, come help me bring out the rest of the food from the fridge," Rachel said as she put the other salad bowl on the table. "We need to stock the table downstairs and make sure Logan's not burning the meat."

Sunny stared after them as they left. Was she leading Joe away before he or Al said anything to each other to kill their first good feelings in months? Or was she going to ask him in private how his talk with Joanie went? He wished he could listen in.

"That really should be my responsibility," Lauren said, tapping her boot with her walking stick. "Rachel's been a saint today."

"The operative word being today," Al said.

"That's cheeky of you!" Lauren exclaimed, chuckling and poking him with her stick. "You're lucky she didn't leave you at the hospital."