Chapter 8 - Vanessa

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry-my what?" I must have heard that wrong.

"Your security team," she explained. "We are not going to take risks involving your safety so please understand this, Vanessa."

I opened my mouth, ready to argue that I didn't need a security team, that I could take care of myself. But before I could utter a word, Felicity's voice sliced through my protests.

"This is non-negotiable."

Her words hung in the air, heavy with finality. It was clear that there was no room for debate.

"I'm sorry, Vanessa," she whispered, her tone laced with genuine remorse. "I truly am. But please, I...I can't bear to lose you. Not again."

Her words struck a chord within me, chipping away at the walls I had erected to shield myself from emotional entanglements. For a fleeting moment, I glimpsed the depth of her pain, the fear of losing someone she held dear-maybe even loved. It was a vulnerability that mirrored my own, a shared ache in our fractured connection.

I cleared my throat, pushing past the lump that seemed to have lodged itself there. It was crucial to maintain my composure, even in the face of overwhelming emotions.

Anthena took the reins, assuming the role of a guiding presence. "You will be admitted to Thronwood Elite, the same school your brothers attended," she explained, her voice steady. "It's a prestigious institution, and I'm certain you'll have the opportunity to make friends there. Additionally, I'll introduce you to Ava."

"Who is Ava? My other sister?" Keeping up with these people was exhausting.

Felicity and Anthena both smiled, "No, Vanessa, you don't have any sisters. Ava is my friend's daughter. She and you should be in the same year at Thronewood Elite and I'm sure you two would be very good friends."

Friends.

The school outcast who fucked her way for grades.

Yeah, I highly doubted I would make friends. Or even know how to.

"When will I be going to Thronwood Elite?" I asked.

"Next week," Anthena replied, her voice carrying a hint of reassurance. "We've arranged it so that you won't miss anything important."

"Understood," I responded, my mind racing to recall any lingering questions.

"One more thing, someone mentioned yesterday, I think, what exactly is the 'big seven'?"

After Celeste mentioned it yesterday it had been bugging my mind ever since.

Felicity looked up casually, "Where did you hear that?"

I frowned, "I must have overheard it somewhere? Maybe at the police station?"

Anthena exchanged a quick glance with Felicity before turning her attention back to me. Her expression turned serious, and I could tell that she was contemplating her next words carefully.

"The Big Seven is a term used to refer to a group of influential families within our world," she explained, her voice measured. "These families hold considerable power and wealth, and they play a significant role in shaping the course of our society. They are often involved in important decisions, politics, and even business ventures."

"So, where do we stand in this Big Seven?" I inquired, my tone laced with a mix of curiosity and skepticism.

Felicity paused for a moment, her gaze fixed on me. "Vanessa, our family, the De Lucas, has its own influence and connections. We are part of the Big Seven, and we do hold a significant position within our own sphere. Our actions and decisions carry weight, and we have our own network of allies and associates."

"To sum it up," Anthena interjected, taking the opportunity to explain, "the 'big seven' refers to seven influential families with significant connections and power in the business world." Felicity nodded in agreement, her expression tinged with a sense of caution. "Being part of the 'big seven' comes with its fair share of enemies and rivals who would love nothing more than to see us lose our status."

"And led her to kidnap me," I mused, my mind connecting the dots.

Anthena and Felicity winced.

Suddenly, a buzzing sound filled the air, and Felicity swiftly pressed a button on the intercom. Andrea's voice resonated through the room.

"It's ready, Mrs. De Luca," Andrea's voice came through quietly.

A genuine smile graced Felicity's face as she turned to face me.

"I'll let her know immediately," she said, her excitement palpable.

I furrowed my brows, curiosity gnawing at me. "What's ready?" I asked, trying to catch up with the whirlwind of information.

"The studio."