"If this is what our next lessons are going to be like, I'm going to have to schedule more." Aleksander says, a smirk growing on the lips I just felt.

I blush, before he stands up and hands me his hand, helping me up.

My body immediately feels cold without his warmth and I close my Kefta tighter around me.

"I know you know the way back to your room, but I'll accompany you. Just for the fun of it." He says, a mischievous smile gracing his lips.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not tired.

I just got ready for bed, but I'm not at all tired. Maybe I should walk a bit. That might make me more tired.

I stand up from my vanity, take my black shawl, that has become my favorite shawl, and leave my room.

I let my legs guide me, while I think of everything and nothing.

I suddenly stop when I arrive in front of the same familiar black doors that lead to Aleksander's office. I haven't spoken to him since yesterday.

I quietly open the door a bit and pier inside. Aleksander is standing in front of his strategie

table, sipping a glass of what looks like bourbon.

I could talk to him, but I don't want to disturb him, and I have no idea what to say to him. The last time we saw each other, he kissed me, so I don't really know how to act around him.

I try to silently close the door, but it creaks, making Aleksander turn towards the noise.

"Anya?" He asks.

Dammit.

I open the door and walk into his office.

"Am I disturbing you?"

"Not at all." He answers with a kind smile. "Come in. Here." He says, handing me a glass of what's he's drinking.

"Oh no, I'm sorry, but I don't drink." I say, politely.

"There's no need to apologize." He says, placing the glass down on the table.

"Is this map current?" I ask, coming to stand next to him and looking at the map lain out on the table.

"It is." He answers, looking at me. "Our enemies are very... threatened at the moment. But Ravka can only stand up to them if we present a united front. And there is talk of uprising in the West, led by our... esteemed First Army General." He explains, turning back towards the map. "Our own people, turning their backs on us."

"Aleksander..." I say, trying to get his attention.

"I have been fighting this war... alone for so long." He explains, hurt. "I have buried so many good soldiers. Friends." His pain starts turning into anger and the room starts filling with shadows.

"Aleksander." I say a bit louder this time. He doesn't hear me or he just ignores me.

"The coffers are running dry, the noose tightens... and our own people are turning against Grisha, just as their kin once did."

It's like he's drowning in his pain and anger and he can't hear me. If he continues like this, we're both going to turn into Volcra.

So, I do the only logical thing in this situation.

I take his face in my hands and smash my lips onto his. He's surprised for a moment, before reciprocating the kiss. He places one hand on the top of my back and the other on my waist. My hands slide down from his face to his neck.

I have no idea if this actually worked. At least if it didn't, I'll die with Aleksander, which isn't the worst death.

After a moment, we break apart. The room is back to it's original brightness. My idea wasn't so dumb after all.

Our hands haven't moved from their spots and we're both just standing there, with only a couple of centimeters separating us.

"You can't tell anyone." I suddenly say.

"What?" He asks, confused.

"If Alina finds out, she'll kill me."

"Okay, sure." He says.

"When I find a way to tell Alina, we can tell everyone, I promise."

"Take the time you need. I personally don't mind having to sneak around to see you." He says with a smirk.

I playfully roll my eyes and shake my head.

"I should go. It's getting late." I say, still not moving my hands.

"If you have to." He says, frowning.

"I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight Aleksander." I say, moving away from him and walking to the door.

"Goodnight Pchelka."

I walk outside and close the door behind me, blushing like crazy.

He just called me 'little bee'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm early to my lesson. I was so excited to see Aleksander again, that I arrived a good 20 minutes to early.

After having stood I front of his door for the past 5 minutes, contemplating if I should enter or not, I finally decide to knock.

"Come in." I hear him scream on the other side of the door.

"I'm sorry. I'm a bit too early." I say, walking into the room.

At the sound of my voice, he looks up and smiles.

"Don't apologize. I'm sure we'll find something to do." He says, way to suggestively, making me blush.

"Would you like to play a game of chess with me?" He asks, standing up and taking a box off of his bookshelf.

My eyes light up at the mention of chess.

"Yes, please." I say, walking over to his desk and taking a seat in the chair opposite him.

"I take it you like chess?" He chuckles.

"I used to play it all the time when I was little. Usually by myself. When Alina and Mal played, they just played against each other and I just watched." I explain, my smile becoming sadder and sadder as the words exit my mouth.

"Well, don't worry, because this time you'll have a true opponent."

I smile at him, while he lays out the pieces. Of course he's black and I'm white, so I start.

Our first game lasted about 25 minutes.

"Check-mate" I say smirking, while placing my hook down.

He just looks at the board for a moment, not believing I actually won.

"Congratulations." He says, shaking my hand. "Rematch?"

"With pleasure."

A/N: Hope you enjoyed