"Genya told me you designed them." He nods. "It's truly beautiful."

"Yours was a bit harder to design, with all the different abilities you have." He says, looking at me from the corner of his eye. "Who knows, maybe you'll discover even more

powers."

"Oh no, I'm quite pleased with the amount I have now, I wouldn't want more." I explain.

"You wouldn't?" He asks, confused.

"I can't even control the ones I have now, I don't want to have to learn how to control even more powers."

"Don't worry, you'll be able to control them in no time." He reassures me.

A moment later, we arrive in front of the familiar set of black doors.

He pushes them open and walks in. I follow closely behind.

The doors close behind us, while Aleksander takes a seat behind his desk.

"Sit." He orders nicely, nodding to the chair opposite him. I oblige and sit down.

"So," He start, placing his hands on the desk, "do you understand the term 'small science'?"

"Kind off." I answer, in an uncertain tone.

I know the basics of it. I learned about it a bit in the orphanage and Aleksander explained it quickly to me and Alina before we went to meet the king. But if you asked me to explain it, I don't think I could.

"Okay. So, all matter in the world can be broken down to the same essential parts. Grisha have the ability to manipulate matter at this fundamental level, giving the appearance of magic to what is actually a precise, deliberate science that abides by physical laws, as must anything else in nature." He explains. I nod.

Okay, that makes sense.

"As an example," He continues,"an Inferni does not create fire from nothing, but rather summons combustible elements from the air. They can summon existing matter, but still requires a catalyst, in this example heat, to start the chain reaction that will produce a flame. That's why Inferni carry flint with them."

I nod again. The teachers in the orphanage must have not understood it well, because there explanations were a lot more complicated and confusing.

"So then, how do Tidemakers work?" I ask.

"Well, a Tidemaker takes the moisture from the air or from a nearby source, that's there catalyst. They can also control currents. And Squallers are able to manipulate air pressure and create acoustic anomalies. Which means they can make sound travel faster and more distinctly, or mask sounds altogether. They can also summon lighting, but I don't permit them to use this ability. It's just too unpredictable and dangerous." He explains.

Okay, I think I get it. I just have to use what already exist. If Baghra had explained this, I'm sure I would have been able to do it.

"And lastly, Durast can manipulate glass, steel, wood, plants, stone, or anything solid on a molecular level. This includes changing a solid's shape, texture, or composition. They can make flowers bloom, remove an object's pigment, move objects without touching them, and even absorb harmful matter from another person's body into their own." He finishes.

"Do you understand?" He asks.

"Yes, I think I do."

"Are you ready to give it a try?"

"Sure." I answer, a bit nervous. Now that I understand what I'm supposed to do, It should be easier, right?

"Today we'll do air summoning."