xxvi. battle of hogwarts part 2

Start from the beginning

James looked at the man and he knew who he was instantly. There was one picture they had of Runskin, and Pierre was in the background of the photo. Magnolia also knew that Pierre was most certainly no on their side as he was Runskin's long-term right-hand man.

He analysed the young man. Not really young, it was like he had a young look, but wisdom very clearly lurked behind his eyes. He knew who he was instantly. "What are you doing here?"

Pierre turned towards him; brow raised. "Aurora asked me to come and by that association, here I am."

James pretended not to notice the very obvious look of pure relief that Aurora had in her eyes. He seen it several times but usually it seemed to be associated with other people. Something that remained in James' mind was the time he saw Pierre in the woods, he distinctly remembered (same as Magnolia and Sirius) the way Pierre gripped Aurora's forearm that night. Sort of like manhandling.

James stepped forward, hand on his wand and eyes narrowed into slits. "You're with Runskin so I'll ask you again, what are you doing here and what do you want with Aurora—"

"No, he's actually with me." Aurora corrected, appointing James a roll of her eyes. Although she wouldn't ever admit it, especially to James, he actually could be very intimidating. "So if you would just excuse us for a moment."

James' face converted into confusion, thick brown brows furrowing in confusion as he tilted his head. He looked at the girl for a few moments, as if trying to see even a shadow of doubt that didn't believe her own words, but he couldn't find it. Maybe it was because it was believed that that Pierre had something to do with how Aurora escaped. James did not believe the man was on her side, their side, for even a second. He wondered if Magnolia and Sirius knew the man was here and that he wanted to talk.

"James!" Aurora hissed, smacking his forearm as he pulled her back. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

If the circumstances had been different, James would have actually let out the smallest of smiles. Maybe it was because moments prior to this, Aurora had actually seemed to have softened up to him. Especially when the revelation of her cousin, the only person she cared about for many years, had died. A small part of him had actually wished that perhaps it caused the young girl to realise how any of them could die at any moment. All he wanted what was best for his (basically) daughter in law.

"Sorry if I don't trust you disappearing with a man who's literally wearing a white suit and somehow doesn't have a single stain on it."

The comment did have Aurora's lips resisting an upwards smile, nonetheless she kept her lips in a tight line and shook her head. "It doesn't matter if you don't trust him. I do."

"Who exactly is this?" Pierre asked, eyeing James.

"I'm her godfather, thanks." James replied, giving him a look.

For a small second, the fact he still acknowledged himself as her godfather made a bit of her feel happy.

"I'm getting Magnolia." James stated.

"Fine by me." She smiled politely and went to walk away with Pierre.

"And Sirius."

As per usual, the slightly twitch in her expression showed that she most definitely did not want Sirius to know. She turned back around and looked at James. "Do not tell Sirius."