24

Sydney's POV

Miley wandered around as though I was no where in sight. I stood behind the counter, hoping that a customer would relieve me of my misery.

When I heard the door open, my eyes immediately looked towards the women walking in. And with that, worry consumed me. I walked from behind the counter to look for my daughter.

"Mom, why do you want to stop here?" I heard Amelia's voice and contemplated whether I should hide behind a shelf or not. But that would be silly. I knew, for sure, that it wasn't a coincidence that they were there. It couldn't be.

Miley walked towards the voices when I finally noticed her. I stretched my hand out but I didn't know what to say to her.

"Amelia? What are you doing here?" Miley asked. She folded her arms over her chest and stared at the woman in front of her with an aggressive demeanor.

"I'm—I'm not sure." Amelia looked frustratedly at her mother, as I walked towards them.

Miley then turned to me with fury in eyes. "Mom, really? You really think it's a good time to catch up with your friend after what she did to Dad?"

I ran my hand over the top of my head. "I didn't know they'd be here, honey. Please don't be rude," I begged her.

When my eyes met Amelia's, I almost thought I'd lose my breath. Staring at her, I knew for sure that she was my Amy. And there I was, feeling like sixteen again.

"Fine. I'll leave then," Miley said. I reached for her hand but she pulled away and walked out of the store.

Trying to collect my thoughts, I focused my attention on Amelia's mother. "Looking for anything in particular?" I waved my hand around, not knowing what to say. Everything in me wanted to pull Amelia into my arms, and pretend as though the last twenty years never happened. I wished that we'd never spent a day apart, but I knew my feelings didn't matter.

I couldn't be her friend. And I'd never be her girl.

Amelia's mother said, "I actually have an appointment to get to." She looked at her watch and tapped it. "We'll catch up some other time?" She looked at me with a smile.

"Mom, what are you doing?" Amelia nudged her mother and tried to stop her from leaving. But the woman rushed out as though her life depended on it.

Amelia looked back at me with a sudden panic, as she tried to catch her breath. "I'm sorry, I—"

"Need to sit?" I asked. She nodded. We walked towards the back and into a little room I liked to call my office. It was actually a storage space. But I did have a small desk and stacks and stacks of files lined across one corner of the wall. "Thirsty? I've got a little fridge over here with water, soda—"

"Syd." Hearing my name leave her lips sent chills through my chest. "I really can't believe it's you."

I turned back to her with a bottle of water in hand. "Water's fine?" I asked and handed it to her. She slowly nodded and looked at the bottle, seeming to contemplate what she'd say next. "Have you been okay? I know it must have been hard to—you know."

"I'm pretty good, actually. If it's not meant to be, I need to accept it. How is he, if you don't mind me asking?"

"I think he's fine. Miley goes to see him in Virginia every chance she gets. She'd probably move in with him if she didn't have school."

"So it's that bad then?"

I tried to look anywhere but at her face. "He'll live. He loved you so," I gulped, "it's hard, of course."

Amelia stood and walked towards me. I started to breathe heavy, as guilt began to consume me once more. "Syd." She searched for my eyes but I couldn't look at her. It would have made me too emotional. "I've missed you," she whispered. "A lot more than I realized. We were so close when we were kids."

I nodded. "I know. And I ruined it. I wish I never—"

"I ruined it. I made such a big deal out of something so innocent. We could've stayed friends. I was just so—so—"

"I understand." I stepped back to be able to breathe. She was so close, yet still so far away from me.

"I've been doing a lot of thinking lately." She stepped back too. "I'm sorry about that night on the beach. And I'm sorry about what happened between us twenty years ago."

The funny thing was that she rejected me when we were young. And I rejected her now that we're older.

"I guess we're finally even," I said.

"Syd." She walked closer again and I tried to step back but I was backed into a wall. "I really am sorry. I never wanted to hurt anyone." She placed her hand against my cheek. I closed my eyes, a part of me hoping that she'd kiss me. And the other parts terrified of the consequences.

But she didn't.

Her hand maneuvered along the curve of my jaw before disappearing. I opened my eyes and found hers. There were tears in her eyes. "Amy—" I heard the door for the store open. Amelia stepped further back.

I smiled at her before I went to find whoever walked in. "Hi, what can I help you with?" I asked the man staring at a glass showcase. When I heard the door open again, I turned my attention to it and noticed Amelia walking out. I wanted to run behind her and tell her that I felt the same about her as I did when we were sixteen. But I knew I would never. It was too complicated. We were too complicated. And even though I knew she reciprocated some of the feelings that I shared for her, I couldn't believe that she'd ever love me the way I loved her.