sign me another paper, please

For as long as Dazai could remember, he has always known, and thought about a single certain person.

A redhead boy, who has always been shorter than him, but despite that has always had bigger hands between the two of them. Just a little chibi who has always been so bright, has always smiled at him even when the world didn't, and who insisted on being 'best friends' with him the very first day they met.

Chuuya had moved into the house next to his shortly after Dazai had turned five. He remembered being curious enough to peek out of his bedroom window, just to get a look at the new neighbours. He hadn't known what to expect, but the last thing he would've expected was finding a little shortie who he would know for the next unforeseeable number of years of his life.

Soon after they had moved in, the neighbours had sent their two kids to greet Dazai and his family. Chuuya's older sister had been over briefly, just to say hello, before she left. Her brother, however, had stayed long enough for Dazai to offer him cookies. Of course, he had spiked the cookies with an unnecessary amount of salt, completely ruining them.

Chuuya had been very upset at first, and had complained lots, but he'd still stayed around long enough for Dazai to give him proper cookies the next time. Upon receiving such a blessed confectionery, Chuuya had deemed his neighbour fit to be his best friend; even if he wore such tacky bandages. 

That was the first memory Dazai had of a person who was very, very special to him. 

After that, Chuuya had enrolled in the same school as him and they had ended up being in the same class. In the following ten years, they had continued to apply to, and get into, the same schools as each other. Miraculously, they had even ended up being classmates for most of those years. 

Of course, during all this time, Chuuya had never once shut up about how much he hated Dazai and how he was so annoying, and how Chuuya would rather swallow Legos than see 'that shitty mackerel' ever again. Despite that, during their first year of high school, when Dazai had joked and told him that they weren't in the same class, Chuuya had looked like he was about to cry.

Really, his eyes had widened hilariously, and they had been on the verge of watering. 

Because Dazai was a kind person, and a wonderful friend, he had taken it upon himself to inform 'his dog' that he wouldn't have to separate from his owner after all; that they were in the same class. As expected, Chuuya had punched him immediately and cursed lots at him, insisting that being in the same class as Dazai didn't sound fun at all. 

Dazai had innumerable memories stored in that so-called genius brain of his, and yet he couldn't find a single memory which didn't have Chuuya in it. How utterly ridiculous; but Dazai really couldn't see his life progressing in any other way, without the literal chibi at his side.

More important than the rest, Dazai had a particular memory he was rather fond of. Something that was of heavy importance, even after many years passed. It was something about a certain promise, see. A promise between him and the redhead next-door, which would continue to be of importance for the next fifteen years.

-

It was a lazy day, not unlike most others this year. 

Even if Dazai had recently just started high school, and was fifteen now, he didn't really feel any different. His life has always been the same, after all. He lived next to Chuuya, went to school with Chuuya, and spent almost all of his time with Chuuya. The only time he wasn't with his best friend was at night, when it was time to sleep. Even then, Chuuya would come over sometimes on nights he couldn't really sleep.

Presently, Dazai made his way up the stairs and towards Chuuya's bedroom.

School had ended a few hours ago, and he'd seen the short stack just then, but well, he was already bored and needed someone to annoy. And of course, because Chuuya was his dog, shouldn't he always be there to entertain him and free him from his immense boredom? It was just natural, really.