Wild West Triplet birth

(Anything with an asterisk next to it is a slang term I came across in my research that I though would be fun to use. You can find the meanings of them at the bottom of the page)

"Is that everything you will need miss?"

I look at the suitcases, nodding. There are several that lie infront of me. Mine are filled with my dresses and hats, James' with his waistcoats and vests. The last couple suitcases are filled with blankets. There are three small cases filled with blankets, one for each baby.

It had only been a couple months since James and I had found out I'm carrying three babies. My first pregnancy and I'm set to deliver three children. It had been a blur to put together a room for all three, and finding a midwife with enough skills to safely deliver all of them. That was the hardest part.

The only decent midwives are a full day's journey away. James has organised us to travel by stagecoach to be near them for the birth. I have been experiencing increased pains since yesterday morning, so we have decided to travel today. I nod to maid to help me out of my chair as I feel one of the babies pushing on my bladder once again. Lacey truly has been a heavensent in this pregnancy, always ready to be attentive and support me. 

Lacey brings me out to the outhouse, our pace slow as she supports me as I waddle. As we approach she holds the door open and helps me sit down. After she closes the door I can hear someone approach.

"Lacey, have you seen my wife?"

"She is currently occupied, Master James."

"Of course. Tell her when she is ready that the stagecoach is ready for us to leave."

"Of course, Master James."

I hear footsteps start to retreat, and once I am sure he would be out of earshot I call out.

"Lacey? Could you help me up?"

"Of course, miss."

The door opens and Lacey lifts me up, and after I rinse my hands we walk towards the front of the house to see the stagecoach waiting. 

Visiting the outhouse does not seem to have relieved any pressure down there. I rub my back, hoping to ease some of the tension that holds itself there. 

"Are you ready to go sweetheart?"

I look up to see James, I smile as he reaches out to take my hand. Lacey passes me off to him and walks ahead to open the door for us.

"Of course. Lead the way."

We start to walk but I suddenly buckle over slightly as I feel the tension increase around my lower back and abdomen. I wince as James holds me steady.

"Are you alright?!"

Then as soon as it appears, the pressure is gone. I sigh as I slowly work to stand upright again, a task requiring much more effort with all the extra weight I carry. But I nod to James.

"Yes, fine now."

He still holds concern in his eyes, unconvinced.

"Well we should be going now. I am sure once we get to Santa Fe all will be fine."

He eventually nods, and we walk to the front of the house where the stagecoach waits, Lacey and the driver standing in wait. 

James and Lacey hoist me up, and with all of us inside the driver whips the reigns to start the horses.

------------

We have been travelling for a several hours now, though it feels like days. I cannot find a comfortable position. The pressure now brings a pain that I cannot ignore, and James notices my expression.