Chapter Five

As the weeks roll on, Skye gets the feeling that Ward is gearing up to tell her something, and she doesn't like it. They're in a pretty good place right now – given their circumstances – and she doesn't want to mess it up. They're even a bit exciting like the old days sometimes.

One evening, they've taken a slight risk by having a very public date in a nice restaurant. Ward suddenly shifts in his chair and moves his menu so it blocks his face. "Three o'clock," he says quietly.

Skye glances over, making sure to cover most of her face as well. "The guy with the buzzcut?"

Ward nods. "Bash, arms dealer."

"You guys know each other." She tries to keep the judgment from her voice.

"Garrett made some deals with him back in the day."

"Please tell me Garrett didn't screw him over."

"No, Garrett he liked just fine," Ward says. "Me, not so much."

Skye sighs. "Alright, he wouldn't recognize me as SHIELD, right?"

"Probably not."

"Great, so you sneak out while I... distract him."

He raises his eyebrows.

"I'll spill my drink on him or flirt with him or something. Go."

Ward doesn't look entirely happy about the plan but relents. "You got a weapon?"

She nods. "ICER, now go."

As he rises, Skye grabs her half-full glass of wine and makes her way toward the table where Bash sits with two other guys. She wobbles a bit on her heels.

"Hey," she says. "Waiter, I was wondering, woah!" She bumps into an empty chair. "Sorry, I was wondering if I can get a refill of this–"

She crashes right Bash, spilling wine all over his shirt and nearly tumbling into his lap. She stabilizes herself with a hand on his shoulder. "Oh my god," she says, a nervous giggle bubbling out of her. "I am so sorry."

She starts grabbing napkins to help clean him up and he grabs her arm – tight – and holds her fast.

"You should look where you're going," he says and, yep, she can definitely picture this guy as an arms dealer.

She lets out another nervous giggle.

"And probably ease up on the wine."

"That's what I've been told," she says. Ward has to be out by now. "Again, I'm so sorry." She tries to pull her arm from his grip, but he doesn't let her go. "I hope the suit's not too stained," she says. "I'm totally willing to pay for dry-cleaning."

"That won't be necessary," he says and lets her go, shoving her back a little. She's relieved until he grabs her purse from her and dumps the content. She freezes when her ICER thuds onto the table.

He picks it up. "It's dangerous to get drunk while you have a firearm on you, miss."

"It's not technically a–" she starts to say but stops herself. She glances around the restaurant. Both waiters and customers seem to be ignoring what's happening.

Bash smiles. "I happen to be cozy with the proprietor, so don't expect their help." He turns to his companions. "You know, the only people I even see carrying this type of weapon are either SHIELD, who love to interfere with my business, and Hydra, who aren't that much better." He points it at her. "So, which are you?"

"Neither," she says quickly. "I'm not much of a team player."

He tilts his head to the side. "Really?"