2: Meeting

Hua Cheng had seen many things in his 800 years, but this was new. Two gaps in the air were hovering just outside Puqi Shrine. Xie Lian looked rather confused as well: it was a phenomenon that neither of them had ever heard of.

"San Lang, this is..." Xie Lian said, trailing off as something moved in the gaps. Stalking closer, Hua Cheng could see one window showing a mountain range in the distance, and what looked like training sects for cultivation. In the other, white buildings occupied a serene, natural plateau, fog abounding and hiding details here and there. Both of these places could've been found anywhere, but Hua Cheng felt something else coming from them. These were not from their world.

"San Lang, I think there are people," Xie Lian said suddenly, pointing to the first window. Sure enough, multiple disciples were crowding around a pair - probably masters, Hua Cheng thought - right in front of the window. One of the two pushed forward: a man with long, wavy black hair, a fiery red symbol adorning his forehead. He stopped when he saw the window.

"Shizun!" He called out. So he's not a master? Hua Cheng thought, confused. Next to him, Xie Lian moved closer to the window, a curious look on his face.

"What is that?"

A new voice rang out from the other side of the window. A tall man dressed in pale green robes holding a fan that obscured half his face. Looks like Shi Qingxuan, Hua Cheng thought distractedly. He was sorely tempted to wave, but he didn't know if this was a threat or not yet, so he kept motionless. Xie Lian, on the other hand, reached out and touched the window gently.

"Gege, what are you-."

"Look, San Lang. It's perfectly fine to reach through," Xie Lian said, smiling that smile that always made Hua Cheng's unbeaten heart beat. On the other end, the demonic looking man had approached, glaring through at them. Hua Cheng glared right back.

"Binghe, don't antagonize them," the green cultivator said, snapping his fan shut as he reached the window. The other pouted at him: Hua Cheng had to hold back a laugh at this man, going from deadly to a little puppy in a matter of seconds. Xie Lian straightened up, waving cheerfully at the two.

"Hello, I'm Xie Lian, and this is my husband, Hua Cheng."

The green man eyed them with distrust before sighing.

"I'm Shen Qingqiu, the Peak Master of Qing Jing Peak, and this here is-."

"I'm his husband, and ruler of the demons!" The other declared, not noticing the glare he got for interrupting. "My name is Luo Binghe."

"Qing Jing Peak?" Hua Cheng asked suddenly. "I've never heard of a place called that."

Shen Qingqiu frowned.

"It's part of Cang Qiong Mountain, a rather famous cultivating sect," he said. Xie Lian just shook his head, then turned to look at Hua Cheng.

"I could check if Ling Wen has any information about this."

"I don't think whoever that is will," a new voice said. A rather cheerful one, despite the circumstances. Hua Cheng turned around to see two new faces peeking out from the other window.

Imagine Wei Wuxian's surprise when he'd stepped out of the Jingshi and seen holes in the air. Two, to be precise, looking out over two different places, neither of which belonged to this world. Lan Wangji had joined him outside in the ferocious winds, both of them confused. Wei Wuxian approached it carefully, pulling out Chengqing. He tapped the edge of one with the spiritual flute. Nothing happened.

"Wei Ying, it might not be safe," Lan Wangji said. Wei Wuxian shot him his usual grin.

"I know, Lan Zhan. But think about it: this could be a doorway to another world! So exciting!" He said gleefully, acting like a child. Turning back to the windows, Wei Wuxian stilled when he saw four figures, two from each side. They were talking to one another.

"Lan Zhan, we should check this out," he said quietly.

"Mm."

The two of them carefully stepped through the opening, bracing for any type of attack that could come. Nothing. Wei Wuxian found that he could hear them properly now:

"Hello, I'm Xie Lian, and this is my husband, Hua Cheng." The white robed, angelic man said. He looks like a god, Wei Wuxian thought. Next to him, "Hua Cheng" was standing imposingly, quite the opposite of the gentle man.

"I'm Shen Qingqiu, the Peak Master of Qing Jing Peak, and this here is-."

"I'm his husband, and ruler of the demons! My name is Luo Binghe." A dark robed man with a red symbol on his forehead interrupted the dainty cultivator beside him. He reminds me of Nie Huaisang, Wei Wuxian thought, looking at the annoyed man.

"Qing Jing Peak? I've never heard of a place called that." Wei Wuxian tended to agree.

"It's part of Cang Qiong Mountain, a rather famous cultivating sect."

"I could check if Ling Wen has any information about this." Xie Lian said, looking at Hua Cheng as if for assurance.

"I don't think whoever that is will," Wei Wuxian suddenly said, sauntering forward. Behind him, he could swear he heard Lan Wangji sigh. The other four turned towards him, all with varying states of distrust. "Will know anything," Wei Wuxian clarified.

"Who are you?" Hua Cheng asked, narrowing his one eye. Wei Wuxian decided his normal, dramatic approach would be fine for this situation. Gasping dramatically, he pressed a hand against his chest, red ribbon fluttering in the light breeze.

"How could you not know me? The famous Yiling Patriarch?" When none responded, he shook his head slowly. "For shame, for shame."

"Wei Ying," Lan Zhan said softly. Wei Wuxian held back a laugh when he saw their faces.

"Ok, ok. My name is Wei Ying, courtesy name Wei Wuxian. This is my husband, Lan Zhan, courtesy name Lan Wangji. We just crossed over through the window," Wei Wuxian said. The other couples' faces cleared up at that.

"I've never heard of the Yiling Patriarch," Luo Binghe said. He then smirked at Wei Wuxian. "You're not important: my Shizun is the best cultivator."

Wei Wuxian raised an eyebrow and Shen Qingqiu thumped Luo Binghe on the head with his fan.

"Well yeah, I wouldn't expect you to have heard of me," Wei Wuxian said casually, sidling closer to Lan Wangji.

"After all, we're not from the same world."