She thought about Shihiri and what the Fae thought of it all. Of course, Shihiri did not have Ylthara's side of the quarrel to base an opinion upon. The Fae girl had seemed to only care about being along for the journey. She didn't show any other reason, or care, beyond that. Would Shihiri choose a side?

The Fae had had a tempestuous relationship with Hatyara from their very first meeting, though had appeared to change towards a more friendly, amused annoyance as the days had worn on. To the point where Hatyara had moved to Shihiri for protection, instead of Únik. At the time, Únik had not thought much of that.

Shihiri was, by a great margin, far better able to protect anyone than Únik. She was a fighter, never worried about who, or what, she fought, as long as she won. Únik, on the other hand, was, and always would be, a scavenger, in so far above her head, she could almost feel herself drowning at the mere thought of fighting. Yet, now, Únik had to wonder about Hatyara's intent.

A few days before, she would have dismissed these thoughts without hesitation. Now, they turned in her mind, unable to reconcile what she knew and what she heard. She could understand Hatyara hiding her Ice-Mage abilities, up to a point, but the fact she had not confided in Únik bothered her. It came down to more questions and how much the Ice-Kin had kept to herself.

Ahead, Únik could see a loaded cart, drawn by two great, strong horses, fur falling over their hooves like cuffs upon a fancy shirt. Ylthara drew everyone to the side to allow the cart to pass and Únik saw another man, younger, sat amongst the goods, short bow in hand, arrow nocked.

"Good day. Have either of you, perchance, seen an Ice-Kin girl and a Fae companion pass this way?" Resting both hands upon her saddle, Ylthara gave both men an easy smile. "The Ice-Kin is my sister and I miss her greatly."

"Can't say as I've seen such a pair. How about you, Humbod?" Turning upon his seat, the older man addressed the one with the bow. The younger man shrugged his shoulders in reply. "I'd take that as a 'no', ladyship. There's a town, not two miles hence. Others there may have word of your sister."

"My thanks, anyway." Turning her horse to continue along the road, Ylthara paused, adjusting herself in her saddle to look back. "Have a care if you pass the mountains. A caravan came across a Snow Wyrm. All lost. There may be more of the beasts about. And a bow will do little to save you."

A grin and a wink at the younger man caused him to look at his bow and then back towards Ylthara. He gave another shrug and made a poor attempt at a salute, in thanks for the warning, as the cart trundled and rattled on its way. Soon, both cart and men fell far into the distance, their big horses carrying them at good speed.

"A town sounds good for my weary bones, Ylthara!" A woman's voice rang out from among the warriors, followed by other voices in agreement.

"Very well, we'll spend the night. You've all grown soft!" Laughing, Ylthara gave her horse a tap in the flanks and set off down the road towards the town. She looked across as Únik caught up. "As far as I can tell, we've almost caught up with Hatyara. A night in a warm bed won't lose us much time."

"Don't be so sure." Hatyara alone, Únik could see Ylthara catching her. With Shihiri by her side? Not nearly as likely. "She may surprise you."

"Everything my sister has done has surprised me." The amusement dropped from Ylthara's face. She chewed upon her lip for a second before continuing. "I'm giving you a chance. One chance to talk to her and to stop this madness. That's it. If she doesn't listen to you ..."

"You'll kill your own sister." The Ice-Kin had said as much, more than once. It seemed Ylthara tried more to convince herself than Únik. "I don't know if she'll listen to me. I don't know if you're lying to me. All I know is that, if I can help it, I won't allow anyone to die. I've seen too much of that for any lifetime."