Ch 18 Hummingbirds: Sione Lavaki [Thursday Morning, Week Two]

The next few days were cloudy, but the rain stayed away and the weather was warm, so they were able to compete in several outdoor contests. Sione easily kicked everyone's butt in Tuesday's silly race day where they had to run to various stations around the estate and complete random tasks involving balloons, marshmallows, horseshoes, and ladders. He came in third on Wednesday's cornhole. Today was the badminton tournament, and based on last week's practice matches, Jarrett and Hannah would be his only real competition.

Skipping passing league and football camp to come here was well worth it. He really could win this whole thing! And he already knew how he would spend the $25,000. Half of it would buy him a decent car. The rest would go to his parents.

For a long time, they had been talking about getting new costumes and equipment for Talavou, their Polynesian performing group. His parents, three older siblings, and a couple of his cousins performed music and dance in the group as a side business to help pay the bills and the unexpected expenses that always popped up. They'd had the same music equipment for ten years at least, ever since Sione could remember. And they had been piecing together, recycling and reworking the same costumes and accessories for nearly as long. Upgrades were definitely past due.

He would fight hard to win.

Elizabeth was upset about something. On their way down to breakfast just a little bit ago, everything seemed normal. She chatted like usual with him and Jarrett. But as the meal went on, she seemed to shut down more and more.

Sione was assigned a spot with Jarrett on one side and Hannah on the other. Elizabeth was on the opposite side of the table. Using gestures and mouthing words across the table, Jarrett tried to ask if she was okay, but that seemed to upset and irritate her even more.

Since there was nothing they could do about Elizabeth's issues until after breakfast, Sione figured it would be best to act as if nothing was wrong. So he went on talking with Hannah and Jarrett.

Elizabeth asked to be excused before breakfast was over, claiming she had a headache. Immediately after the meal, he and Jarrett tried to go up and see what was wrong but Miss Haversham shooed them away, insisting Elizabeth was in good hands and would be fine.

They had no choice but to go outside with the others. She didn't come out for the tournament.

The final badminton match came down to him and Hannah. On game point, he swung the racquet a little too hard and that birdie flew away. He wanted to chuck the flimsy racquet after it, but instead he smiled through gritted teeth and congratulated Hannah on the win. Second place was better than third place, which was what Jarrett got.

When all the equipment was put away and they were on break, Jarrett asked if he wanted to go with him to check on Elizabeth. Sione felt like he should encourage him to go alone, to tell him it would be a good chance to start overcoming his shyness around her.

But "sure" was what he said instead.

They headed upstairs.

She took her time answering her door. When she finally did, the coldness in her tiger eyes could've given Sione frostbite. Had either he or Jarrett done something to offend her?

"Wait for me in the loft," she said icily.

Sione chose the armchair instead of the couch, partly out of respect for that promise to Jarrett, but mainly because of Elizabeth's chilly mood. Let Jarrett sit next to her and take the lead in dealing with that.

He noticed that his castle picture had already been matted, framed and hung in a prominent spot between the two windows. Jarrett's was off in the corner, barely noticeable behind a desk. He made a mental note to give Jarrett crap about it at a more appropriate time.