08 | The Story Of A Monarch • Part 2

Etched onto the polished wooden floor, lay a meticulously drawn pattern

Etched onto the polished wooden floor, lay a meticulously drawn pattern. Faint, nearly wiped-off lines of chalk formed a pentagram enclosed within a surrounding circle. It was evident that it had not been freshly drawn; it appeared to have been etched there long enough that the evidence of it was already deteriorating.

"Au—"

"Darkness is a cryptic company Ada. The more you get known to it the more you wanna stay in. It becomes an obsession at some point."

Adjacent to the pentagram she could witness a crimson ink patch, appeared to have aged, its original vibrancy dulled over the time, leaving behind a haunting reminder of something ominous that had occurred in the space where once a comforting carpet used to rest.

"What in the—what is this?" She questioned, the sight sent a shiver down her spine.

"Ada have you heard the story of the Serpent Monarch from Dagasha clan who was left to be consumed by the darkness?" Auden asked a certain anguish smirk playing upon his lips.

It was enough for Ada to become so well aware that trouble loomed in the air.The realisation dawned upon her, filling her with a sense of dread.

"I don't even know—" She began but Auden cut her short, again.

"No. No you know. So well. You know that Dagasha Monarch. Even his first name. Not many had call him by that,"

Ada could feel a lump clogging her throat. The air feel thick and her heart raced. She watched Auden step forward and standing in the middle of the drawing etched on the floor.

"You, just like everyone else—Did. Not. Bother."

And a sudden low, guttural groan escaped Auden's lips that straddled the line between human and something otherworldly.

"Auden... what—what's going on?"

Ada's heart pounded in her chest, the reality sinking in like an anchor dragging her into a sea of fear and uncertainty.

Auden had no reason to talk about the Dagasha Monarch in question nor a reason to have a pentagram drawn in the middle of the room. Unless...

Her brother's body contorted unnaturally, as if undergoing a surreal metamorphosis. Bones cracked and joints twisted,as if glitching like a malfunctioning entity. Something had changed within him, and it reverberated through his words, the sight unsettling. Nothing made sense about him at the moment except for the fact that it was all wrong and getting worse by the minute.

Auden let out a primal howl, a chilling blend of anguished cries and a haunting rasp that echoed the voice from her darkest nightmares, his form shifting into the very nightmare that had haunted her for so long. As if a veil had been lifted, the truth struck Ada with the force of a thunderclap.

"Auden..." He scream shook the whole Luna Sanctum.

A malicious chuckle filled the air. And the thing standing in front of her eyes was no longer the brother she knew. It was him-the one she had suspected. The voice that had haunted her nightmares and whispered malevolence into her darkest fears.