Chp. 7

"So what are your plans for tonight?"

I looked over to my sister who was currently typing away on her laptop, the nerves of lying already getting to me. I shook my head, "Just a movie night at Maria's."

I headed to the kitchen, quickly snatching my favorite bottle of un-opened wine and shoving it into my bag that I carried. Of course I couldn't walk the streets of New York with a bottle of wine in my hand so the bag would have to suffice, and I grabbed my phone and keys off the counter. The less time I spent getting my shit together and getting out the door the less time Jada had to interrogate me and possibly figure out what I was really doing tonight.

Jada spoke, "Want me to bring you...?"

I turned hastily, seeing her standing from the table as I answered, "N-No, that's fine I'm just gonna catch the bus."

She shook her head, "I mean I don't mind..."

See, this is why I hated lying!

I shook my head, "No seriously, I don't need you to bring me. I'll be fine."

I watched my sister debate internally if she wanted to argue with me, and then ultimately decided not to. I was grateful, because the last thing I needed was to have to explain why I was hanging out with the girl that had knocked her out of her winning streak, literally. I was convinced if I told her the truth she would flip, mostly because she was still highly upset over her loss last week.

She held her hands up, "Okay, well then have a good night. I'm guessing you won't be back till tomorrow?"

I could see her signaling over to my bag that held nothing but a bottle of wine but of course she figured I was spending the night at Maria's. Oh God, this could honestly get messy... I half nodded and shook my head at the same time, confusion obviously wrapping around the both of us.

I stuttered, "I uh... yea we'll see."

I jetted for the door, hearing Jada call behind me, "Good night then, weirdo."

I cringed, knowing that I needed to get the hell out before she figured out I was lying. I called out, "Night!"

Making my way to the front I texted Drew, letting her know I was on my way. I decided to just catch a cab, knowing it would be a bit faster and I was ready to see her. This Friday had honestly drug on and on and I knew I would feel a lot better alongside Drew. That's just how it was with her and I.

It didn't take me long to hail a cab and climb in, giving him the directions Drew had given me. I knew it wouldn't take too long to get there but it gave me enough time to gather myself. I felt like a mess knowing I would be walking into Drew's apartment and potentially getting a little drunk in front of her. I knew I shouldn't be so worried but I was, and I honestly couldn't help myself.

I pulled my bag onto my lap and readied my money, remembering the familiar turn to head towards her apartment. My palms were sweaty, my heart was beating in my head, and I could feel the heat coursing through my body.

I could taste Drew on my lips from last night's encounter, I could feel her skin under my fingertips, the smoothness of it all. I could smell her shampoo and mint, and the familiar way her breathing hitched as she had attempted to regain her breath while we had kissed...

Thinking about it made me nervous and excited all at once.

When we made it closer I texted her I was nearly here, knowing I wouldn't want to be on the street for long. I ordered the cab to stop and paid willingly, stepping out and walking quickly up to her front door.