Chp. 20

Considering Drew and I hadn't seen each other for three days I was eager to finally talk to her at rehearsal today. I felt like I had so much to tell her yet wasn't sure what of specifically. I wanted to tell her about Ashley of course, but that would only make her worry whenever I would leave to go spend time with my family again. Then I wanted to tell her about the conversation with my mom but that didn't feel right either because my mom had said some pretty scary things, like me possibly already falling in love with Drew.

God I felt like such a mess it wasn't even funny, but I needed to focus to make it through this group rehearsal.

We had made significant progress in the last month, but there were only a few weeks left until the recital itself. I was nervous as usual but I knew we would be fine, we always were, but like I had said before, I wanted to blow everyone away. The only way to do that would be to have a killer routine and to execute it perfectly, but today was slow and my dancers weren't feeling it.

I blamed it on the Thanksgiving feasts they probably all still had in their stomachs, so I gave them leeway. I myself wasn't really feeling up to dancing either which was odd, so being harsh on them felt hypocritical.

I decided to end group a few minutes early, reminding them that it would be the same time next week. We had no time to waste for preparing, so everyone needed to be here for the rest of the rehearsals. They all complied and left quickly, eager to get home and probably rest before heading back to school on Monday.

I flipped through my music and played some Rihanna before Drew showed up, hearing the familiar melody of California King Bed. Before I could control myself my feet began moving to the music and my arms guided along the beat gracefully.

As the chorus hit I spun out, kicking my leg in and pirouetting to Rihanna's voice.

"In this California king bed, we're ten thousand miles apart..."

"I've been California wishing on these stars for your heart for me..."

"My California King..."

My eyes were closed but I could see myself moving in my head, already knowing that I was showing more desperation than I ever had. I hadn't soloed in a while but I was just messing around and keeping myself warm, but this was one of my favorite songs and I loved dancing to it.

There was just something about her voice, something that made you want to stand out in the rain and dance forever. It made you feel so dramatic and emotional, and what better way to release that than in a freestyled dance?

"Just when I felt like giving up on us..."

"You turn around and give me one last touch..."

"That made everything feel better, and even then my eyes got wetter..."

"So confused, wanna ask you if you love me...