Chapter 2: The handsome stranger

Start from the beginning

For months it was a cat and mouth game between Lan Huan and the bandits until finally, after 8 months the crown prince manage to kill the leader and knock out his subordinates for the royal family of the southern region to take care of.

Then he left without being seen.

The problem was that he couldn't go back to the immortal realm just yet. While fighting the leader of the bandits he got himself not only bruises but he was cut by a sword twice. And the cuts weren't trivial. They were deep and Lan Huan lost blood. A lot of blood.

He managed to leave the forest where the bandits had hidden and approached the lake to clean the wound, hoping it would give him the strength to return. His spiritual power was not yet back. He might have killed the leader but his subordinates were not yet fully conflicted. Not until the royal family would have taken care of them. Only when his mission was a full success would he get back his spiritual power.

Cleaning his wounds was a priority but once he arrived at the lake he broke down and lost consciousness.

Wei Ying's POV

I blinked several times until my sight cleared again. I looked around and found a bunch of herbs on the ground right in front of me. 'The herbs I was so desperately looking for.'

It didn't surprise me at all. Finding things I need urgently is one of my talents. Whatever it was, I would find it. Or ... would it find me? I didn't know but the fact was, I would have it in my hands.

Often it would be herbs but it could be books or equipment too. I was not sure how I was doing that. It always started with this urge to go to a specific place and depending on how urgently I needed whatever I needed, I could even lose track of time and surroundings. Like today.

I crouched down and picked up the herbs I needed to cure my patients. I was just a 16 years old boy without any proper education but my knowledge of medicine and how to treat people according to their sickness or disease was something I aced in. Now I was even better than my grandma who taught me everything I needed to know and it was surprisingly easy to learn. Much easier than poetry, history, or swordsmanship.

I didn't need these things in my life anyway. Why would I? What would this be good for? I didn't want to be a scholar or a soldier. I was a medical practitioner and my dream was to be the most renowned doctor in the southern region. I would still need a lot of time but I could manage that.

I never really thought much about my future. It wouldn't be much different than that from others, right? I knew I was a little different from other people and I am not only talking about my talent to find the things I needed. But I still wanted to live a normal life like everyone else as well.

It was just... my grandmother always told me that everyone's future, that everyone's fate was decided on before being born. I didn't believe in that but my grandmother did and she reminded me of that often.

For example, her opinion was that the girl who came to visit our clinic several times a week was not the right one for me. That is what my grandmother believed in and tried to make her leave every single time. It was just that this girl was quite persistent and always talked about that once I was old enough she would ask her father to ask for my hand in marriage. She was two years older and managed to make her parents wait until I came of age, which made my grandmother very upset.

I didn't care about her. I didn't have feelings for that girl but sooner or later I would have to get married. Wouldn't it be better to marry someone I knew than someone unknown? But Grandmother said that I should only marry someone who is destined to be with me and that person, so was grandmother's belief, would find me when the time was right.