Chapter 9

Matt woke up disoriented and with heavy eyelids. He groaned when he remembered he cried last night. He seemed to worsen his headache and sighed as he lay in bed for a few more minutes. It only now did Matt realize that Kelly wasn't in bed anymore, and he turned to check the time. It was only nine, but he remembered that Sylvie started at eight, so Kelly must've woken up a while ago. He felt bad for crying in Kelly's arms and waking him up when he had work the next day, twenty-four shift no less.

He rolled over about to get out of bed when he noticed a piece of paper with his name on it sitting on the bedside table.

Good morning Matt,

I wanted to be there when you woke up so you would believe me when I said that you are not alone in this, but you looked so peaceful, and I couldn't bring myself to wake you. I settled with this note, and I hope you don't feel bad about crying last night or keeping me up because I don't mind. Really I don't mind. I hope you slept well, and please text me when you wake up. - Kelly :)

Matt had smiled to himself stupidly and re-read the note a few more times over before finally rolling to the other side of the bed to get his phone.

To Kelly: Morning. Thanks for the note. I know you said not to feel bad, but I do, and it would just feel wrong not to apologize, so I'm sorry that I used you as a crying pillow and kept you up. I hope you aren't too tired, or else I will be keeping you from your full capacity of saving the people of Chicago. But thank you for last night, really.
Also, sorry for apologizing when you told me not to.

Matt sat up on the bed with his head in his hands, just thinking.

"Matt? You up?" Brett asked through the door with a knock, and Matt knew he didn't have to say anything. Brett opened the door and peeked her head in. "Antonio called and asked us to come back to the station. He reassured us that it isn't to arrest you or anything, but they had some questions and updates." Matt sighed heavily at the thought of speaking more on this subject and wanted so badly to run, to leave the city where his father couldn't find him, but he knew that wouldn't be fair to anyone. Those victims who died deserve justice.

"Yeah," Matt whispered and climbed out of bed. Brett smiled and walked away, giving Matt some privacy.

Matt got up and made the bed and then left the room to get changed and ready for the day. If he prolonged his usual morning routine, no one had to know.

~~~

It was one of those days where they got called out before morning briefing, which meant that it would be one of those busy days. The first call was a multiple-vehicle accident. It took them two hours to get everyone out and then clear off the road, and then finally they got to the firehouse. The candidate, Gallo and Ritter, ran to the kitchen to quickly make something for everyone to eat while the rest of them slumped on a chair somewhere to rest.

"Halstead called. He said that there is someone who matches Otis but said that he would need to have another follow-up conversation with said person to make sure they understand the risk of organ donation," Cruz announced to the room. Which left them both happy that Otis has a donor and sad that it won't be happening right away or maybe not at all if said person decides not to go through with it.

"I'm guessing we don't know who it is?" Hermann asked, and Cruz shook his head. "Well, whomever it is getting a free beer at Molly's for a week," Hermann announced, shocking everyone, but then it again, it is Otis they are talking about.

"What if they aren't legal to drink?" Shay asked, already thinking Matt might've gone and got tested without any of them knowing.

"We'll pay a year's worth of college tuition?" Mouch suggested, and Hermann frowned.