Chapter 3

Matt slept peacefully, but Brett couldn't get more than a couple at a time. She was worried about Otis. For a period of time when she became a paramedic and came to Chicago, she ended up staying with Otis and Cruz. She only moved out last year because of Matt, but she loved living with those two. It was fun for her to watch their close friendship, and although they are more on the messy side, they are also very open and fun to live with. She remembered when she went through a break-up, and in an attempt to cheer her up, Otis had allowed her to paint his toenails, and he did a face mask with her to get her mind off of things. Cruz had come home to Otis with the green face mask all over his face and had taken many pictures and laughed for a good half hour before he reluctantly agreed to a face mask as well. The boys messed around a lot, but that didn't bother her, and she knew that those two would always be there for her. Now to think one of them is stuck in the hospital. She couldn't wrap her head around it, nor did she want to.

She was worried about the potential trauma he would face after today alone. She was also intrigued by Kelly's reaction to Matt. She was worried, that's for sure, but at the same time, Kelly would never intentionally hurt Matt. The problem is that Kelly has a short temper, and she has seen that when he is stressed or worried or working through something in his head, he tends to lash out. She knew that is not what Matt needs around him, albeit as a friend, acquaintance or something more. She is very protective of Matt and will always be. When she was sixteen, she promised and intended to keep said promise.

She hated those four years she had to leave Matt alone at home. She hated that she couldn't do anything. She hated how much suffering Matt had endured. She hated everything about how both Casey's children's upbringing and the ultimate ending of one.

Sylvie was quick to shake her head and try to think about something else. That night is not something she wants to think about ever, and that day will forever haunt her despite her efforts to dispel the memory.

She got up from the bed and made herself a coffee, and grabbed a book deciding to distract herself with someone else's life, not wanting to deal with her own at the moment.

~~~

Kelly had woken up at around noon. Yesterday's stressful day has taken a hold on everyone, and he knows that he and Shay will most definitely stop by the hospital today, and maybe Andy will drop by. He doesn't know if Brett would stop by as well because she might be taking care of Matt, who seems to be adjusting to his injuries pretty well. At least yesterday, he seemed aware of his surroundings despite spacing out for a few seconds, but that's nothing concerning.

Kelly was trying not to kick himself for not noticing the bleeding of Matt's neck and didn't even know where it could've come from. When he pulled him out of the fire yesterday, Matt seemed pretty okay and even on the side of no injuries. He only seemed shocked about what had happened rather than in pain, but people react to trauma differently.

"Morning," Shay's voice made Kelly jump, and he didn't realize he had stopped on the end of their spiral staircase.

"Hey," Kelly said, walking over and was glad when Shay pushed a mug of coffee in front of where he was planning on sitting.

"I just talked to Brett. She will be bringing Matt to the hospital to visit Otis, and then they will be going shopping for some new supplies of the things Matt lost in the fire," Shay informed, and Kelly nodded. "Matt's adorable, and I hate that Brett hid him for a year away from us."

"Adorable?" Kelly asked, amused, but he was thinking the same.

"Oh, come on," she said, dropping her hands on the kitchen island. "You can't tell me his big blue eyes didn't draw you in immediately." Kelly shrugged, not wanting to give away his thoughts since he had known the man less than a day. "He is like a shy human puppy," she chuckled at her own analogy and went back to her task of "cooking."