He knew in the future he would thank Brett for introducing him to Shay, Andy and most importantly, Kelly. He knew they were older than him, but he had never had anyone in his life stay for so long, even after the many panic attacks he had in front of them. Part of him is worried that he is putting them in danger because of being here and associated with them, but the selfish part of him doesn't want to pull away. The selfish part of him didn't want to be alone anymore. He craved this. He desired a sense of family, someone he could get close to and not be scared they would pull away. Sure he had Sylvie, he knew he would always have Sylvie, but he can't help but feel that Sylvie is doing all this out of an obligation to Christie.

Sylvie was always there for him, but she was only there in his childhood because of Christie. He honestly didn't blame her because she was Christie's best friend. They were basically sisters, and their bond ran strong, so to him, he always felt like she saw him as Christie's little brother. Now that Christie isn't here anymore and Sylvie knows most of what went on behind the four walls of their house. Her being a good person would have made her feel this obligation to not leave Matt alone in the world. 

She did for about four years. She was always there through the phone, but she got into the CFD when she turned eighteen and left. She didn't want to leave Matt alone with Gregory, but Matt never wanted to hold her life back because of him. He doesn't blame her for leaving, like how he doesn't blame her for distancing herself from the Casey family after Christie's death. But one thing Matt knew for sure was that Sylvie and he would always be in each other's lives because the other person is the only thing they have left of Christie. Somehow, their connection to a person they lost is a key to what was good in the past.

But with Shay and Kelly, it was a bit different. He doesn't spend that much time with Shay, but he knows that she is funny and very protective and caring. When she stayed with him while he was working at the coffee table, she would comment about the movie she was watching, and they were entertaining.

Kelly is a different story. He doesn't know what it is about Kelly, and maybe it was because he pulled him out of the fire, so his subconscious knows that Kelly won't hurt him, but he feels safe in his presence. They knew each other for a week, and every time Matt felt apologetic for something that he knew was stupid, Kelly just rolled it off and moved on. Or when Kelly held him during his panic attack and didn't move him away when he fell asleep on top of him. Or when Kelly stayed with him when he threw up and then passed out and then at the hospital. Or when he went with him for a midnight investigation— not to mention when their face was an inch apart for a good few minutes. Or when he offered that Matt could sleep with him if that made him feel safer. Or at the police station, and when he heard about his past, his grip was firm and protective and not in a harmful way like his father would hold him. In the beginning, Kelly was a stranger, and maybe he does this with everyone he meets, but he didn't leave Matt's side once.

He doesn't understand. He doesn't understand why Kelly is still staying by his side because he is pretty sure he is just a kid in his eyes. He wants to ask because all he has brought into his life was panic attacks and psychopaths for a father. That is usually something people run from. There's baggage, and then there's Matt.

~~~

Kelly walked out of the room when he heard the front door open and walked downstairs to find Andy and Heather walking in.

"Where are they?" Heather asked, looking around the apartment for her kids.

"Fell asleep on Matt," Kelly said with a soft smile and pulled out his phone. He showed them the picture of the boys cuddling Matt on the bed.

"I think we found our babysitter," Andy said, looking at the photo with fond.

"Maybe when the whole bombing thing passes over, but definitely," Heather said and looked up the stairs.