Chapter 14: The Battle of New Hong Kong Part 2

Twenty-five minutes had passed. The outskirts of New Hong Kong were awash with the sounds of overhead red flying aircraft. A series of short alarms were echoing in the city. Several hovercraft artillery vehicles had assumed proper formations for long-range bombardment. Railgun destroyers had shut off their repulsor engines and anchored themselves to the grass. A few half-track vehicles were driving on the fringes that led into the roads.

The city was somewhat different in looks than it appeared a year ago. This was even accounting for the encroaching darkness. It was just enough darkness that some areas exhibited artificial lights. However, it appeared that some areas had the lights turned off in preparation for the upcoming battle. Much of the previous damage had been repaired from the horrific bombardment. The surviving buildings had been almost left untouched, but there were indications of newly erect structures here and there. Flora and fauna were left alone, although there were hints that some introduced red alien trees were growing in some sections of the capital.

It all seemed quiet. After the earlier bombardment, it seemed as if nothing else had happened. It was almost as if it was intentional. Regardless, the Aksren ground defenses were primed and ready to go. The artillery vehicles had assumed the perfect positions before they shut off their engines and anchored into the ground. Their cannon was extended outward and in the direction of north. Countless Aksren soldiers, covered in their red armor, had armed up and climbed on top of the building rooftops.

However, the peace was being further disturbed up north. In the extreme distance were a large, fast-moving crawler and a series of almost thirty vehicles that were roaring towards the city. The myriad of approaching marine vehicles was evident. IFVs, mobile artillery, mobile railgun destroyers, mobile anti-aircraft vehicles, a makeshift armed truck, and armed motorcycles were zeroing in on the main capital. While they were still quite far away, it quite easily put the city's new inhabitants on edge.

A single bomber was en route with the UHN ground fleet. It was at a lower altitude and still maintaining a parallel course towards the city. Inside the bomber, Dean could see the enormous number of dots that were showing up on his display screen. As each minute went by, those dots increased in number.

"That's like......a lot, man," Dean remarked.

"It's.....impossible to count it all," Diedrich replied as he was looking at the screen. "I'm tracking at least....a hundred Aksren interceptors.....not including the gunships that they have. I'm not even going to try counting what they have on the ground."

Dean had a pleasant view while the bomber sliced through the air. He could see the early vestiges of New Hong Kong. He decided that now was the time. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his pipe. This time, it would be the big one. Win or lose. It didn't matter. His best weed was at the ready.

"Five minutes till we reach within artillery range," Patricia commented on the comms.

"So far, the display shows at least one hundred and twenty ground vehicles of various types," Nari added. "This isn't including the hundred aircraft that are in the air. At least ten formations are flying within patrol routes. They still haven't altered course to intercept us yet."

"All stations," Kosai announced on the comms. "In less than three minutes, we will be engaged with the enemy. The Aksren are waiting for us to reach within a certain range before they will drop everything on us. We've been tracking the battle above us. While our forces are still engaged with the enemy fleet, the UHN are relying on us to reach the capital. We are all well aware of our status. It's very likely that in less than twenty minutes, we'll be dead. However, I also know that we can still surprise our enemy. All of you have gone above and beyond in taking this to the enemy. We're the UHN marine corps....some of us have proven that we can defy the odds and that we can still fight beyond what the Aksren ever expect. We charge straight through their lines. We drive through the city. If your vehicle is disabled, you climb out and fight. Never stop. Just keep firing at every soldier that you see. Use every bullet, every shell, every missile, every bomb that you have. Let the UHN know of the bravery of the UHN marine corps tonight. Show them that we fight for Cipra!"