Chapter 8: Picking Up the Pieces

It had been less than thirty minutes as the sandstorm had momentarily calmed down. The sunlight was doing its best to try to penetrate the numerous manifolds of dust layers that circulated in the air. The distant static discharges were too far distant to pose any danger to the wreckage of the UHN Gladiator. The assault carrier was primarily intact, with the exception of some bulkheads that had been buried into the thick sand. Cipra's environment had never been fiercer than before. It was noon, and the sun was the only natural light source in the area.

Four vehicles were quickly approaching the assault carrier. The UHN marine IFVs had their lights tuned to the damaged ship. They had just crossed over a sand dune to close in on it. At the same time, the large starboard hatch door of the carrier was being pried open. A set of mechanical fingers, human hands, and emergency lever actions were in progress. The hatch made a harsh squeak within ten seconds when it slammed fully open. Sand and dust flew into the vessel's interior as marines came walking out.....at least the ones that could stand and operate.

A mixture of various personnel came out of the carrier, almost to become staggered by the sand and wind. Everyone had different breathing masks, visors, or helmets. It was the only way that they could operate in the environment. It took a few seconds for many to get acquainted with Cipra's storms.

Some of the individuals were marines. They were already in their power armor and well capable of handling whatever Cipra could throw at them. Their bodies were completely covered and well protected. They walked out of the carrier's hatch with minor issues. However, they had to help assist many others in getting out. Those that didn't have power armor were in their respected jumpsuits or basic combat armor, with various guns and weapons in their hands. Others were quick to greet and wave to the distant incoming vehicles.

Among one of the people to walk out was that of the T'rintar mechs. The walking digitigrade mechanical humanoid had her shield and guns at the ready. The red glowing eyes quickly assessed the situation before turning and nodding to the people inside. The winds pressed against the silvery green metal feathers that protruded from the top portion of her head and body. A fellow marine in power armor stepped up to the towering mech. She was a few feet shorter, but the Oshunian woman patted her hand against the side of the Itrean.

"Phew," Zalika commented. "We both actually managed to walk out of that one alive. How are your systems, Bekra?"

Bekra, the mech, turned to look down at Zalika. "My body is undamaged from the attack. I stand ready for whatever opposition that comes our way." She said it with a deep robotic-like voice. Her red eyes would flash and darken as she spoke. She had no mouth, but her auditory emitters and receptors did the talking.

"Thankfully, your real body is intact. Sorry that we lost a few Itreans from the crash."

"As am I," Bekra said as she shifted her shield and continued to scan the terrain. "The loss of so many....." she seemed to halt her sentence. She seemed like she was trying to convey more words but simply had nothing more to say on the manner.

They turned their heads to look upon the carrier. The moving swept sands seemed to be a constant barrage. Even as they spoke, there was so much dirt that was in the air that it was already placing a nice layer of sand on top of the downed vessel. The small grounded layer of sand that the carrier slammed into was already getting covered up. In less than an hour, there would have been no signs that a vessel crashed upon the surface. The one minor advantage of the storm was that the winds were so intense that it provided partial cool air into an area riddled with so much heat. However, even then, the temperatures were still grossly hot. Even now, a few of the personnel already could feel the presence of sweat that had gathered on their helmets and clothes. The blasting warm air was still uncomfortable except for those that were in their respected power armor.