001 | nubian blues

Start from the beginning

Unlike the other people inside the room, both children prefer to stay silent and watch the commotion. For Yuri, he simply doesn't understand why he will get another sibling. The timid child prefers to be alone and by just taking care his little sister is enough for him to lose patience.

Now, they're added not only one, but two siblings! The young boy silently wished that he wasn't born the eldest.

The little boy rests his head on the shoulder of his aunt Kairia and the boy slowly closes his eyes, still sleepy. Seibei notices his children dozing off so he tells his sister to put him in his bedroom but Kairi insists, "Yuri will cry again if I put him back in his room. Your son will surely know."

Even though in a weak state, Yari speaks to her husband with softness, "Let the children stay."

She is still struggling from the overwhelming pain, "They want to see their siblings first, you know how much they anticipate it." Her children already told her beforehand that they want to see their sister and brother first.

Seibei has no choice but to do what his wife wishes; he glances at Kiaria who is handling his other children, "Let them rest first, Ria."

The woman nods at him

As they were about to speak, his father walked in such haste and at his back, everyone in the room saw the Nubian midwife and of course the lady of the Naberrie House, Sola Naberrie.

Seibei stands up from where he was seated to meet Sola but the woman composes herself with a sharp and cold demeanor to the man; "I'm here to help Yari, nothing more of your nonsense plead, Seibei."

Kambei, his father, didn't say anything to Sola who had piercing eyes toward the very man who betrayed his own clan and the rebels. Anger is bubbling inside her chest but she convinces herself that she's doing this for her dear friend, nothing more.

The old man mumbles under his breath to Sola and thanks him despite her disgust towards his son. The woman nods and slips a small smile to Kambei. At least, she will not be alone with Seibei, she thought as she helps the midwife to prepare for Yari's upcoming childbirth.

Seibei wilfully left where he sat earlier and just gave Yari a quick kiss on her forehead. From the eyes of his wife, he isn't unsure what those tired mahogany eyes mean. Is it guilt? Or regret? Or remorse? He couldn't think much about it.

She whispers, almost out of breath because of the overwhelming pain coming from her pelvis, "I'll be fine. Don't mind me."

Words didn't come out to his lips and decides to let Sola take care of his delicate wife. Sola tells Yari as she sits beside her, holding her frail hand,"This will be difficult, Yari."

The frail woman smiles at her, "Thanks for helping me, Sola."

The woman gently squeezes her hand and kisses it with affection, "These are my godchildren, of course, I should be here."

Yari lets out a small laugh, knowing that no one in the galaxy anticipates her birth like Sola Naberrie. Even though the presence of the people she dearly loves are present, she wished that both Evita and Eirlys were here.

Sola could see the solace in her dear friend's eyes, fully knowing why so she spoke once again, "I surely know that they would love the twins, Yari."

"I know. I just missed them dreadfully."

As she is about to continue to speak, Yari feels the pain overcome her belly, letting out a scream. Sola calls for the midwife to assist her as Yari's labor is about to begin. Seibei watches as his wife screams more, sweat lingers on her forehead, Sola tells Yari, "Push, Yari!"