Fallen: Queen of the Monsters

Bryson had no trouble falling into bed. In fact, since his balance was declining because of the poison (which had now spread through his hip), falling into his bed was no trouble at all. What gave him trouble was the knock at his window ten minutes later. It occurred just as he had fallen asleep, and it took him a few moments to gather his thoughts. For a second, he feared that everything that had happened-Kyle, the monsters, the Stickman's death-had been a horrible dream. But the aches in his body returned, and he noticed the gash on his hand from when the Stickman tried to erase him. He sighed, rubbing his eyes.

A hollow knock sounded, and Bryson's head perked up. A clown was standing at his window, though it wasn't a real clown. No, this clown's hair wasn't stapled to its head and its lips weren't covered in blood red lipstick. It was Kyle. It had to be, or else it was Jack. But Bryson had a feeling it was Kyle, and his suspicions were confirmed when the clown straightened, his stature lopsided because of some injury to his foot. Kyle reached a gloved hand into his pocket and pulled out a small phial. He set it against the window, stared for a moment at Bryson, then turned, limping down the street. Bryson couldn't believe Kyle still had the strength to be out and about. Perhaps he was trying to visit Jack. Bryson got out of bed (momentarily recovering from a sudden loss of balance) and made his way slowly down the hall. He opened the front door and collected the phial, which was filled with a sort of clear, bubbly liquid. Bryson hurried back into his home and closed the door, sitting down on the couch. He took a deep breath, hoping that Kyle wasn't playing a crude joke on him. Surely after all they had been through, Kyle would want to help, right?

Bryson uncorked the phial and took one last deep breath before consuming its contents. He nearly spit it all out of his mouth, but not because of a foul taste. He almost spit it out because the liquid inside was just like water, only with a hint of salt. He was practically drinking saltwater. Bryson didn't know if Kyle had filled it with salt water as a joke, but he did know that as soon as he drank, a warm sensation spread through his body, reaching his fingertips and toes. He set down the phial. It was really more of a burning hot sensation rather than a warm one, and he could feel sweat break out on his brow. He stood, wavering slightly, and entered his room, hastily shutting his door. He collapsed onto his bed, feeling waves of heat pulse through his body. He felt sick. He pleaded for sleep to overtake him, and it did.

Bryson slept through the entire morning. He slept through his father leaving for work, and his siblings leaving for school. It was a dreamless sleep; one he hadn't had in a while. Finally, when he woke, he felt drowsy, yet refreshed at the same time. It was when he stood that he noticed change. His body didn't ache anymore. The cut was still on his hand, along with the brace, and his shoulder was a little stiff, but the ache of the poison was no longer with him. He rolled up his pant leg. The black veins that had reached his hip were gone. Kyle really had given him the antidote. Both shocked and happy, Bryson rolled down his pant leg and exited his room, his mind beginning to move faster. Today was the day that Kindell would go to jail. All they needed was the proof. What time was it? Did he sleep through school?

The kitchen was empty, and there was a note on the kitchen counter in his mother's handwriting stating that she had gone grocery shopping. His stomach rumbled, but he ignored it. He looked at the clock over the stove. It was one thirty. School was still in session. He slipped on his shoes and bounded down the steps of the front porch. Again, Lillston resembled a ghost town, yet there were some differences that startled him. The sunshine actually penetrated the leaves and touched his skin. Some of the blinds in the windows were open. There was one or two elderly people who would come walking leisurely down the sidewalk, smiles on their faces. There was a joy here that had not before been felt in the little town of Lillston. There was still a bit of caution, but joy as well.