A Hole

"It's the walking legs," Kyle whispered, grabbing his clown mask. "Only the walking legs knock."

"It just wants to say hello," said Officer Peters, recalling what Kyle had said. "We can take them."

Kyle slipped the clown mask over his face. "Don't kill it. Just keep it away."

Officer Peters nodded. He opened the door, and immediately, the walking legs walked through. It was as tall as Bryson remembered and just as gray, walking heavily with its abnormally long arms. Officer Peters took a few steps back, a mixture of revolt and fright on his face.

The legs stopped and stood near Officer Peters. If it had a torso and a head, Bryson would think it was looking around. Then, it strutted toward Kyle, but Officer Peters grabbed its arm and pulled it back.

"Uh oh," said Peters as he pushed the legs toward the open door. Bryson saw it, too: They had more visitors.

A clone was walking toward the house at a fast pace, sniffing the air hungrily. It looked like Callie. Callie whimpered slightly when she saw it. "I've never-"

"Quiet," Kyle hissed.

The room fell silent. Officer Peters let go of the legs and softly tiptoed backwards away from the door. The clone stepped through. No one moved a muscle. Bryson swore Callie even stopped breathing. Her clone, with its dark hair and smooth skin, was still so unlike Callie. It was her eyes. Her wide eyes made such a difference, and this eyeless clone was no resemblance of her at all.

Officer Peters made to close the door. Bryson and Kyle both shook their heads. Peters took his hands off the doorknob.

The legs walked up to Bryson. He remembered kicking the legs before, and he felt no remorse. He could easily kill this monster. He was twice its size. But he wasn't here to kill, and the legs could be invincible. He looked to Kyle. When was he going to start speaking?

Callie gasped.

The clone whipped its head toward her, its hair smacking its face. It charged. Callie covered her head in self-defense, and Bryson rushed over to her aid. He punched the clone in the side of its head using his hurt hand-the one with the metal brace. The clone stumbled backward, letting out a cry. Blood seeped down the side of its head. Bryson bit his tongue, preventing himself from letting out a cry of his own. "Sorry," he managed.

"It's not me!" Callie said hysterically. "It doesn't have any eyes!"

The clone charged for Bryson, baring sharp teeth.

Officer Peters smacked a lamp over the clone's head just as Bryson noticed movement toward the light switch. The room fell dark. Bryson heard a thump, and he listened for the clone. He heard soft footsteps to his right. They were too slow. It was the legs. No one dared to speak, for fear that the clone would hear. Bryson could see out the door. A woman and a gang of clowns were walking toward the door. They were before the threshold. Peters slammed the door shut in their face. "What are you waiting for?" he hissed in the darkness.

The clone didn't come.

"They won't listen," said Kyle.

"You haven't even said anything to them! How do you know they won't listen?" asked Peters.

"Open the door," said Kyle, someplace to Bryson's right.

"What?" said both Officer Peters and Callie.

"Open the door!" Kyle suddenly shouted.

The door opened.

The group of clowns and the seductive woman was standing at the door. One of the clowns chuckled.