Let's Be Pandora's Hidden Prize - HanZe (Pt.1)

pairing- hanze
genre- angst/sad, soulmate!au

zeyu was completely sure his life was perfect. he just turned 16, was living in a school-provided dorm with his boyfriend, hanyu, of 2 years, had a rather enjoyable job at a cafe near their school. everything felt perfect, he couldnt be happier.

but he knew what was coming, and he couldnt help the constant worry that hovered over him. every 2 years, everyone who aged above 16 in the past years would recieve the name of their soulmate on their wrist. he knew this year he and hanyu would get theirs. and while he was confident hanyu was his soulmate, and he was hanyus, he could help but ponder what they'd do if they werent. as the day came closer, the thoughts loomed around more and more. it became impossible to shake the worries off. he sat at his desk, head burried in his hands. he couldnt focus on the homework in front of him, all these feelings building up inside him over the past weeks. it was late, and zeyu was sure that hanyu had been sleeping, but he was proven wrong when the office chair he sat in was turned around, and the elder kneeled down in front of zeyu. hanyu placed a hand on zeyus knee, giving the boy a small, comforting smile as he sighed.

"baby, whats going on? youve been like this for a while, im worried about you." hanyu concerned, and zeyu finally felt the walls of feelings he'd built up come crumbling down. he pulled on hanyus hand, and once the elder had stood up he collapsed into his arms. though hanyu was the shorter of the two, he seemed to have no trouble supporting zeyus weight, picking up the boy and carrying him to their shared bed in the other room. he sat down at the edge of the mattress, now holding zeyu on his lap. zeyus hands rested on hanyus shoulders, letting his fingers trace lines down hanyus arms in an attempt to distract himself. "talk to me, love. im all ears." hanyu whispered, running his hands up and down zeyus waist to relax the younger boy. with a sigh, zeyu finally spilled out his feelings to hanyu.

"im.. worried." he started, playing with the fabric of hanyus loose t-shirt. "we're getting our soulmates names soon, i just.. i dont want it to be someone else." he locked eyes with hanyu, who was giving zeyu an understanding look. he cupped hanyus cheeks, letting out a soft huff of air. hanyu only smiled at the boy, pulling him closer and wrapping his arms around zeyus middle.

"dont be worried, i already know we have each others names. i knew since i met you that id spend my life with you." hanyu reassured, gently pressing a kiss against zeyus lips. the younger smiled at his boyfriends words, leaning forward and resting his head against the crook of hanyus neck, taking a deep breath. they stayed like that for a while, before hanyu finally pulled zeyu down onto the bed, allowing the boy to curl under his arm and fall asleep with his cheek pressed to hanyus chest.

a week later, it was the night they'd get their soulmates names, and zeyu could stop himself from pacing around the room with anxiety. hanyu was sat at the edge of the bed, trying to consol the boy with words of comfort, but it didnt seem to do much, as zeyu continued chewing on his nails. finally hanyu got up and placed his hands on zeyus shoulders, stopping the boy in the process.

"breathe, xiaoyu. its going to be okay, your okay." zeyu did as told, sucking in a deep breath, and waddling into hanyus open arms. the elder hugged him tightly, spinning zeyu around in the process and getting a few sweet giggles out of the taller boy. hanyu announced he had an idea, pulling zeyu to sit on the bed with him and pulling out his phone. the time read 11:49pm, they would get their names at 12:00am. hanyu turned on his clock and sat faced zeyu. he softly grabbed zeyus hand, placing the boys palm over his left wrist, before placing his own hand over zeyus. "when we get our names, we can look at each others instead of looking for ourselves, okay?" hanyu suggested, earning a smile and an excited nod from zeyu.

the boys talked quietly, zeyu giggling at something hanyu had said when his wrist began to sting. his widened eyes flashed to the time, which read 12:00am, before flicking up to hanyu, who was staring at their hands in a similar way. the stinging stopped, and though zeyu felt frozen, a smile spread onto his face. his heart pounded, and his hands were shaking, but he was excited. finally, hanyu looked away from their hands, and up into zeyus eyes, mirroring the smile on zeyus face.