'𝕿𝖎𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖉𝖆𝖒𝖓 𝖘𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖔𝖓

"And wonder about the only soul who can tell which smiles I'm fakin'
And the heart I know I'm breakin' is my own
To leave the warmest bed I've ever known"

🍁Pages of Passion🍁

As I navigated the winding off-roads to reach Calpurnia, the symphony of rustling leaves and the cool breeze from the surrounding eucalyptus forest enveloped me. Darkness hung heavily, and my only guide through the obscurity was the faithful beam of my headlights. My journey to Calpurnia had been prompted by the recent breakup with Syndie, a much-needed escape from the chaos of New York, and a quest to overcome my persistent writer's block.

The breakup had hit me hard, pushing me into a state of inertia. Days blurred into one another as I lay on my bed, lost in thought and exhaustion. My productivity plummeted, and it was evident that I needed to seek solace in a tranquil environment, far from the maddening crowds. It was during this search that I stumbled upon an abandoned estate nestled amidst the Eucalyptus forest near Calpurnia, and I promptly decided to rent it for the foreseeable future.

Calpurnia was a place of serenity and solitude, a haven I was growing fond of. Sometimes, in the evenings, I'd take a leisurely walk to the nearby town, a mere fifteen minutes away, or embark on a long drive to the nearest city to reconnect with old friends. Today was one of those city visits.

As I pulled into the alley leading to my house, something felt amiss. A sedan was parked there, and its owner was a mystery to me. I parked my car and stepped out, only to be greeted by an elderly woman who seemed oddly familiar but remained elusive in my memory.

"Hey! It's been quite a while. I bet you forgot me," she said with a warm smile, appearing to be in her late 40s, roughly my mom's age. "I'm your Aunt Betty, remember? We used to be neighbors when you were a kid." Suddenly, the pieces fell into place. She was my mom's longtime best friend, and her daughter, Rebecca, had been my childhood companion. We played together, and I even took her to prom. Rebecca held the distinction of being my first love, and her memory still tugged at my heartstrings. Sadly, she passed away in a car crash the day after our prom, leaving me with a profound sense of loss. It was my first heartbreak.

"Oh, Aunt... It has been a while. How have you been?" I finally recognized her.

"I'm good. I got your address from your mom when I found out you live so close."

"Where do you stay exactly?"

"After Rebecca, you know..." She hesitated. "I moved to Calpurnia."

"Small world," I remarked, taken aback by the coincidence.

"Yes, a small world indeed. Now, I have a favor to ask of you," she said, her eyes filled with hope.

Aunt Betty's hopeful gaze hinted at the favor she was about to request, but before she could utter another word, I invited her inside the cozy living room of my rented estate. We settled into the plush armchairs, a hint of nostalgia filling the room. Memories of Rebecca and our shared childhood came flooding back, making me realize just how much time had passed.

"Please, make yourself comfortable, Aunt Betty," I offered, my voice tinged with warmth. "Would you like some tea or coffee?"

She smiled appreciatively, "Tea would be lovely, dear, thank you."

As I prepared the tea, the kettle's soft whistle mingled with our conversation, bringing a sense of comfort to the room. Once we were both settled with steaming cups of tea in hand, Aunt Betty began to share her reason for seeking me out.

"You see," she started, her eyes focused and earnest, "I've been living here in Calpurnia for a while now, trying to make a fresh start after the loss of Rebecca and her father. It was an incredibly tough time for us, and moving here was a way to heal, at least for me."