Chapter 4

The entire class, I couldn't help sneaking looks at Julia. She had a frustrated look on her face for most of the class, so I spent my time thinking of what she could be frustrated about, rather than listen to Mr. Faredom talk about variables and polynomials. Afterall, I did learn all this last year. 

The class dragged on while I thought about her. Maybe she regretted giving me her number. Maybe she gave me a fake number and she regrets that. Maybe I'm just a total idiot for thinking it has something to do with me. All I know is I was too curious not to ask her about it. The bell rang for recess, and everyone was getting excited. Everyone in my old school used to get excited for breaks as well even though we had five minute breaks between classes.

I stood next to her desk. "Hi. We never properly met. I'm Amy" I stuck out my hand, waiting for her to shake it.

"Well hello," she blushed, "I guess we never actually introduced ourselves. My name is Julia." She took my hand and smiled. I smiled back.

"So this may be too bold of me to ask, but why did you look so frustrated the whole class? Are you okay?" I almost touched my hand to hers then pulled away when I realized I just met her and she might be freaked out by that. She shoved books in her bag, threw it over her shoulder, and sighed.

"Yes! well no... but yes? I hate math. I never understand anything they try to teach me. I'm hopeless!" She hung her head.

"Well have you tried a tutor? Maybe you just need a little extra help?" I smiled at her, hoping to cheer her up a little. She shook her head.

"I've tried... they always get frustrated with me! I may or may not have the attention span of a flea... which is very small..." She smiled at me, and I couldn't help but laugh at her. She was very cute.

"If you want I could help you! I looked over the book briefly, and I've done all of this last year. I took an advanced class. I promise I wont get frustrated... for the first five minutes anyway?" I winked at her and she smiled.

"That sounds good to me! We have a short quiz at the end of the week, so we should get together sometime this week. You've got my number, so text me yours and we'll call it a date?" She beamed at me. I smiled back and her and nodded.

"Sounds good to me!" We said our goodbyes and headed our separate ways. I had to grab a snack before I literally starved! The cafeteria was packed full of people. Some were staring at me and whispering to their friends. I was looking for the least crowded vending machine when I walked in to something rather solid.

"Oh! oops!" I looked up to see a dark haired, brown eyed boy looking down at me.

"Ouch?" he smiled, and started to laugh, probably at the shocked look on my face.

"I'm so sorry! I was looking around for an empty-ish vending machine rather than looking where I was going... You banged into me too though, why aren't you apoligizing!" I looked up to see him smiling.

"You're right. I'm terribly sorry. Did I hurt you, little one?" He laughed at his own joke. How original. I rolled my eyes and smiled at him.

"Don't worry, Goliath. I'm fine." I struggled for a come back. I turned to walk away when he stopped me.

"Hey. My name is Gabe, not Goliath." He smiled, I guess waiting for me to tell him my name. I smiled back and turned to walk away.

"Whatever you say, Goliath." I heard him chuckle under his breath as he turned back to his friends. Deciding to go to the counter, I stood in line, got a bowl of fruit, and left to find my next class.

According to my schedule I had voice next. This class was all the way up on the fourth floor. I would probably have to leave recess a little early on Mondays. No big deal. I don't have my license yet, so it's not like I could drive anywhere.

I got to class and was the first person there. Great, I said to myself. I'm going to look like a nerd who loves to sing!  I set my bag down and decided to walk around and just look at the school. I didn't want to stray too far incase I got lost, so I just walked around the fourth floor until I started to see more people walking to their classes. I went back to my class to wait for everyone else. When I walked in a lot more people were there, including Gabe, the boy from recess.