Chapter 3- Keefe

I shouldn't have come here.

This was the second thought.

His first thought was, I'm doing this for Foster.

Keefe never wanted to leave the Lost Cities. If he told his past self that one day he would get these weird, creepy abilities nobody, not even himself could control, and have to flee his home to save just about everyone else he cared about, he probably wouldn't have believed himself.

These thoughts got him spiraling down the unwanted path of, what if I never see Sophie again?

I need to stop thinking about Foster, Keefe thought to himself. If he keeps thinking about Sophie, it'll make him want to go back but, He could never go back.

Not just to avoid his punishments that would be in his future if he went back, but also because he would put everyone around him in danger again, that was the reason he left in the first place. He would stay with Sophie if he could...

Foster... I wonder how she's handling things.

Probably trying to be all serious but has lots of worry struck in her beautiful gold flecked brown eyes, with a major worry crease between her eyebrows, and if Keefe was there, he would be very tempted to smooth it over but that would be weird because it's wasn't like he was her g-

And this is exactly why he can't think about Sophie.

First of all, he wasn't there, he couldn't feel any of her emotions and he couldn't help her through things.

Secondly, he just told Sophie to hate him, and to forget all about him. She would never want to try and find him after everything he wrote in that letter.

Lastly, he shouldn't even be thinking about this. What he really should be doing is finding some food, and a place to stay for awhile.

Luckily, he already knew where he was going.

He was going to hide the same way the Black Swan hid her. 

A loud crash followed by a skid that sounded like a screeching banshee jolted Keefe out of his thoughts.

Another car crash.

The sound kinda reminded Keefe of the time that Sophie and Fitz first got their echos. Keefe knew that they would be okay and that if Elwin couldn't fix it, no one could, but a small part of Keefe still wondered what would happen if Sophie didn't make it through. He was actually going crazy inside because he couldn't survive without her.

If the thought of Sophie dying was bad, knowing that he couldn't be with her while she is still alive and probably has already moving on and forgetting about him is even worse.

"Hey, move out of the way!"

It took Keefe's new polyglot ability a few seconds to understand what that man was saying and another to register the loud, honking sound, but when he did, he moved back so quickly, he almost fell over.

Keefe never realized that he'd been in the middle of the road. He could have gotten run over by... what do humans call those things again.. oh a car.

Keefe needs to get his priorities straight and stop daydreaming or else he'll get himself killed before he gets to see Sophie again.

You can't see Foster again, Keefe thought to himself, it's too dangerous. It's why you left in the first place. Even if you weren't an empath you would've felt his mood drop.

Keefe managed to get off the streets and after a couple minutes, walked into a community park. He saw a lot of people either sitting on benches, having a picnic or just hanging out with a friend. They all seemed so happy and peaceful.

Keefe wished that his life could be like that.

Keefe shifts his gaze and saw a elderly woman sitting alone on a bench, feeding some birds, which kinda freaked him out.

Keefe wasn't used to seeing people who looked like their age since, in the Lost Cities, people didn't age physically after a while.

Since Keefe had been walking around all day, his feet were hurting, and since that bench was the only open place to sit, Keefe went over to sit down and maybe even get to know the woman. It would probably be better if you have an ally here, Keefe thought, trying to convince himself that was the real reason he wanted to sit down.

So much for staying undercover.

Keefe hesitantly sat down on the bench and as all the birds flew away, he finally got to see the woman's face. Keefe was shocked when he saw the woman's ice blue eyes, identical to his.

It was his mom.

A/N: Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter!  If you guys are wondering why I swapped between Keefe thinking "Foster" and "Sophie", it's because it's a pet peeve of mine when people write someone referring to another character as their nickname 'to much' (No hate if you did though!) When ever Keefe "subconsciously" thinks about Sophie, I'll have him think "Sophie" and while he thinks 'consciously' he'll think "Foster" (Usually this is italicized). I hope you don't mind. See you next week, I hoped this A/N made sense! Also sorry again for the short chapter!

~ Coco- 791 words