Flat of the Blade

Start from the beginning

“I want to know what you learned from Obsidarian,” I answered.  “I need to test you to see where you are.”

Flint nodded, his expression growing serious as he drew his rapier.  I nodded to him, drawing my daggers as I watched Briamy sit at the edge of the clearing.

“I’m not taking it easy on you,” I warned.

Flint nodded again, stepping toward me cautiously.  I waited, crouching slightly as watched for his first attack.  If he was smart, he would try to stay out of my range, depending on the range of his rapier instead of trying to go blade for blade.  After another step, Flint roared and jumped toward me, catching me off guard with his stupidity.  I sidestepped him easily, watching him fly past me before turning to meet his next attack.  He rushed in again, skittering back and forth like a deranged crab as he tried to pick a side to attack from.  I met his steps with my own, presenting no option but to meet me head on.  When he had edged just within range he lunged at me.  I met his lunge with one of my own, moving my body out of harm’s way as I locked the hilt of my dagger in the guard of his rapier.  I rotated my wrist, flipping his weapon into the dirt.

“Range is only effective when used for defense,” I lectured.  “If I get within your guard your advantage is lost.  Wait for an opening, don’t force it.  Now, again.”

Flint backed away from me to retrieve his rapier, careful to keep his eyes on me the entire time.  I smiled at his effort, recognizing Obsidarian’s handiwork and making a mental note to thank him later. 

“Come at me slowly,” I instructed.  “Watch my feet, mirror my movements, take the care you put into keeping me in your sight, and make that your first priority.  Do not let me move into a blind spot.  Thieves must be aware of their surroundings at all time, blindness is death.”

Flint walked toward me slowly, his eyes flickering between my blades and my feet.  I let him get a few feet away, then began to circle him.  Around and around we went, switching directions as he analyzed my guard.  As we neared the edge of the clearing I put his back to the trees, weaving back and forth as I drove him back, waiting for him to notice what I was doing.  His eyes were narrowed in concentration, working not to trip over anything as he looked for an opening.  When I had him where I wanted, I moved my dagger to the right, opening my left side for attack.  As he shifted his footing I slid forward, kicking him in the middle of the chest.  He stumbled backward, fighting to regain his balance as he walked into a bush, the momentum of my kick knocking him into it.  He struggled with the whippy branches for a moment, cursing his luck as Briamy and I laughed.

“I kept my eyes on you,” he complained.

“And were completely oblivious to the rest of the world,” I countered.  “You should have known I was steering you toward that bush.  It shouldn’t have taken you by surprise.”

“How am I supposed to focus on two things at once?” he asked. 

I sighed, sheathing my daggers.  “It may be difficult for you,” I explained.  “But you have to try to clear your mind.  Don’t zoom in on your goal.  See everything around you.  That is the difference between a thief and a pirate Flint.  As a thief we need to watch our step to remain silent, while looking for anyone that could raise an alarm, while searching for emergency escape routes, and of course heading toward the objective.”

“You can do all of that?” he asked, eyes wide with awe.

I smirked and nodded, laughing internally at the things that I was saying.  It was good advice of course, but I had never really thought of any of that stuff before.  I hadn’t practiced to be a thief; it was a part of me.  Nonetheless, I hoped it would work for him, even if I had no idea what I was talking about.