Chapter 26 || The Accords

Start from the beginning

"That's not true," I breathe out and she scoffs, "Turn the TV back on, they're being very specific."

She looks up at me and I notice the anger in her eyes. But it's not anger with the news or anyone else. She's mad at herself.

I walk over and sigh, "I should've gotten there sooner. I could've helped you. I could've grabbed Rumlow with my webs and thrown him far away from everyone in town and let him perish. Steve could've clocked the bomb vest before you had to step in. Natasha could've put a bullet in his head before he hit that button. Sam could've had Redwing shoot him dead. It's on all of us."

Her eyes rest on me, trying to believe me but I can sense the guilt still on her while she looks back down, playing with her fingers anxiously.

Reaching over, I brush the hair away from her eyes, tucking the locks behind her ear and taking her hand in mine. She turns back to me, a small smile on her face but it's weak. Her eyes are already brimming with tears.

"This job...We try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that...then next time...maybe nobody gets saved." I shake my head to my words, knowing that it is the sad truth, we can't possibly save every single person.

" I shake my head to my words, knowing that it is the sad truth, we can't possibly save every single person

I know that too well. And Wanda knows I've had my fair share of experience with not being able to save people even when I try my very best.

She nods slowly but still seems a bit guilty.

"You saved a bunch of those people. From my mistake, you were able to save them. You save people all the time. I just wanted to be like you." Her voice cracks at the end, betraying her clear desire to stay strong.

My heart tugs inside my chest and I smile at her, chuckling at her words even though they were beyond sweet, she is wrong about wanting to follow in my footsteps.

"Wanda. You don't want to be like me. I mess up too, all the time. You know what happened with Gwen. I couldn't save her. I make enemies everywhere that I go. You're still learning, you're young. We should've focused more on channeling your power, controlling it. We're just gonna have to work harder."

She wipes at her eyes, nodding while blinking away her tears before she jumps when she sees something, "Vis. We talked about this."

I turn around to see Vision who just phased through the wall, making me raise an eyebrow in amusement.

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that..." He trails off, realizing that he has crossed a line and clears his throat, "Captain Rogers instructed me to inform you when Mr. Stark has arrived."

I nod, "Thank you. We'll be right down."

"I'll...use the door," He states awkwardly, walking towards the door but stops before stepping out of the room, turning back to us.

"Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest."

Frowning, I look at Wanda who seems just as confused as me.