Caught in a Dream

Start from the beginning

               I was drawn by the smell of something sweet. My nose guided my feet and I was in front of a woman’s stand. Desben followed my sudden change of direction. He eyed the stand suspiciously and gave a short nod to allow me to continue with my pursuit of what I wanted. The woman smiled at me and held up a rounded golden piece of what I imagined to be their candy. “This is the best treat in the entire kingdom miss. Would you like to try one?” She asked. I nodded eagerly and she handed the candy to me. When I took it from her, the golden candy felt soft.

               I imagined it would taste like a donut, but when I took a small bite, my taste buds exploded in the flavor and I closed my eyes. The outside of the candy folded into inside which had a silky texture. “This is simply indescribable. What is it made from?” I asked finishing it off quickly. “It’s a family secret passed down from generations ago” She winked. “It’s simply lovely” I said in adoration. “I will give you a small basket for three pieces of gold” She said holding up a small basket with about nine pieces of the rounded dessert pieces. “Oh, I-” “Here” Desben said handing the woman three gold coins and taking the basket. “Thank you; make sure to come back for more! I make them fresh every three days” She said flashing a smile in our direction.

               “Desben, you didn’t have to do that” I said. “I know, but its gold coins from the Queen and she demanded that we spend it. We have a couple more coins” He explained. I nodded and we continued to walk. We came upon a store inside a house with beautiful wood work. I began to walk towards the shop when Desben pulled my arm. “I don’t think we should go there” He said. “Why not?” I asked. “The woman in there is up to no good” He replied. “You sound like you speak from personal experience” I joked. “I’ve heard bad things about this place” He said standing firm before finally giving in.

               I walked into the store and a woman from behind a bookshelf walked out. “Good day” She said as I looked over some wooden jewelry boxes. “Are you interested in any particular style?” She asked. “No, I’m just looking” I said and turned back to the boxes. “Come with me, I think I have something that you will like” She said holing her arm out to the back room. “I believe it’s getting dark, we should probably start to make our way home” Desben said sternly. I bit my lip but knew I would get nowhere even if I tried to go against Desben.

               “How much longer until we are to return?” I asked. Desben looked to the sun and back to me. “We have a couple more hours” He said. “Is there any place we could go to rest without returning to the castle? I don’t want to go back but I want to just rest” I said. Desben’s face clouded over as he thought for a moment then nodded. “I have a place. It is just before the woods” He said.

               We made our way through the city and I took in all the sights. The buildings where the fae lived stood with life coming from everywhere including the slightest splinter of wood. The fae that stood outside their house moved their eyes to me in curiosity. I looked to Desben and his pace quickened. “Will your disguise to work. You’re flickering” He said. I thought about being fae and acting like them. I got an approving nod from Desben after a second and the attention from the fae ceased.

               We walked down more streets with other buildings and buzzing creatures of all kind. When we broke free of the kingdom and to the woods Desben relaxed. His shoulders sagged slightly and his walk became more natural. “Its right over here” he said leading me to a small open area. It was a space where a break in the trees allowed sunlight to meet the ground. I walked over to a tree in the light and sat down. I placed the basket of desserts next to my dress. I looked back up to Desben and he looked at me like I was insane. “Well? Are you going to join me or just stand there for hours?” I asked. “I’m supposed to be protecting you not having a picnic with you” He said intending the sting. “Ouch, well, I think you’ll do a lot better if you’re relaxed. Please, come sit or something because you’re making me uncomfortable” I said throwing a dessert in my mouth.