Pushing aside her concerns, she reached the alley Shihiri had indicated and looked down into the raging waters of the street below. Much like the main street of the city, this one gave the waters too much room to pass through, with nothing to break or slow down the flow. And the waters continued to rise.

Hatyara, with her height and small frame could become swept away. Even Barsa, as strong as her hound was, could have difficulty swimming through the buffeting, crashing waters below. There was nothing else for it. She swapped the bow and quiver to Hatyara, taking the staff, and picked the Ice-Kin girl up, spinning her onto her shoulders.

"Hold tight! And keep that bow out of the water. I think it means more to Shihiri than she lets on." She felt Hatyara grip the material of her jacket, at the shoulders. Taking several deep breaths, Únik began to wade down into the rushing waters below.

As soon as she left the cover of the alley, she felt the current tug and pull at her. Using Shihiri's staff and her own whale hook, she thrust them both down into the waters, at different angles, arresting the current from dragging both she and Hatyara away. Using the long tools as walking sticks, she shifted one and then the other, taking her time.

Finding purchase, under the water, with the butt of her whale hook, she transferred her weight to that, moving Shihiri's staff further along. She pressed down with the staff, only for it to slip under the waters. Somehow, she managed to keep herself upright, Hatyara's hand pulling at her jacket. She hadn't released the staff, however, pulling it back up and trying to find a spot to brace it against once more.

Ahead, Barsa's front legs moved with frantic flaps, his head lifted as high as he could. He reached the alley entrance, but almost got caught by a rush of the water. Únik almost threw away her whale hook and the staff, willing to let Hatyara fall into the waters and fend for herself, before let that dog die. She had no need to, as Barsa caught his second wind and powered his way back to the alley.

Únik, herself, only had a couple more feet to go and she could feel her arms and legs tiring. Fighting against the raging waters took its toll upon her and she did not know if she had the reserves of strength needed. And, once she reached the alley, she had no idea how much more running and swimming they would need to do before they reached safety.

"Come on, Únik! You can do it!" As though she could read Únik's thoughts, Hatyara gave her words of encouragement.

She didn't know if she could do it. Her chest felt fit to bursting. The power of the flood waters was too much, even though they had almost reached the alley. If she could only reach the edge, she could toss Hatyara to safety. Barsa would take care of her.

With the very last of her strength, Únik moved the last couple of feet and tried to slip into the alley, but something caught her in her back. Instinct made her release both her whale hook and Shihiri's staff and she saw them both carried away, along with the log that had hit her. She reached up, grabbing Hatyara by her dress and shoved the Ice-Kin into the alley, away from the worst of the current. But that was almost Únik's last ebb of strength.

She felt the flood waters catch her legs, lifting her up. With hands cramped and cold from the waters, she grabbed for the edge of the building. Waters smashed into her face, stinging with the ferocity. She could feel the water entering her mouth as she struggled to breath and she choked, unable to cough or spit the dirty water out.

Her fingers could not hold the edge of the building anymore. She could feel them slipping and there was nothing more she could do. The flood current was far too strong and she had tired herself out beyond any chance of saving herself. As water splashed into her eyes, she could see no-one in the alley.

Not Hatyara, not Barsa. She felt a kind comfort in that. Even if she would not survive, at least they had. For now. With that last thought, she began to release her grip upon the corner of the building, happy that she had done some good in the world. It could never make up for the crime of taking her husband's life, no matter the circumstances, but a little good was better than none.