S E V E N T Y - O N E

Start from the beginning

"No." I state simply, a hint of venom seeping into my tone.

Harrison looks taken a-back by my rejection, his eye brows furrowing as his eyes narrow into an evil glare, a glare so similar to that of his brothers.

I can't let Jack go, what if this man hurts him?

"No?" He scoffs, his amber eyes blazing. "Jack is my only family! He's coming with me!"

"Jack is my brother, Harrison." I state calmly, brushing the sleeves of my navy suit. "I adopted him, I'm his legal guardian, you're to late."

Harrison takes — what I think he assumes to be a threatening step towards me, kissing his teeth as he stops a mere foot in front of my built frame. "Your adoption won't hold in court! You never checked the system for his blood relatives before signing the paperwork!" He spits.

I want to laugh at his words, Jack is legally my responsibility, the adoption has already been processed, this man clearly knows nothing about the legal system. Did I check for blood relatives? No. Do I care? No. Any court who looks into Jack's history will see the trauma he's been through, they'd never send him to live with a man who's the carbon copy of the monster that stole his whole childhood.

I smirk, "won't hold up in court?" I shake my head, clearly amused by his threat. "Harrison, do you know who I am?" I ask, raising my eyebrow as I look down at the angry man.

"You're the bastard that's trying to keep my nephew from me!" He throws his hands above his head, clearly frustrated.

"No, I'm the best fucking lawyer in New York, if not the best in America." I snarl, narrowing my eyes at him. "Your empty threats mean nothing to me, take me to court if that's what you want, but if you want a relationship with your nephew, you're making a mistake, he's been though enough!"

"How the fuck am I meant to have a relationship with him when you won't let me?" He scoffed.

"I never said you couldn't spend time with Jack." I told him simply. "If Jack wants to see you, I won't stop him."

"I don't understand." He frowned, causing me to sigh.

"I'm not giving you custody of my brother." He went to interrupt but I held my hand up, "I don't know you, nor do I trust you, but if Jack wants to get to get to know you and spend time with you that's fine. I'll be with him for the first few meetings until he's comfortable enough to be alone with you and for me to work out your intentions."

"My intentions?" He mumbled, staring at me in confusion.

"Mhm, your intentions." I repeated, "what exactly is it that you want Mr. Adams?"

"I just want to get to know my nephew again." He sighed sadly, seemingly defeated. "My brother and his family left without a word, he sent me a text three days after they disappeared telling me he'd see me again soon. That was ten years ago, I hadn't heard from him since, well... until today."

"So you know what your brother done to him?" I asked, staring at him intently.

"Done to him?" Harrison looked confused now. "Henry said that he and Kelly got into debt after Jenna's death and they avoided a shit load of taxes. Which, of course, caught up to them. He didn't go into much detail," he ran a hand through his darkened blonde hair. "That's why I came here, be told me Jack was living with strangers that didn't want him."