cuddles - kj x reader

it had been a long day, and you were exhausted. you'd been training all day and phoenix finally let you go after you beat him 4 times in a row. trudging down the cold, metal hallway you approached your room, the door sliding open to your silver room. it didn't feel very homey. every surface was metal and the clang of your shoes against the floor was obnoxious.

taking off your shoes, you flopped onto the bed. a sigh escaping your lips as your muscles groan against the stiff mattress. slowly, your eyelids grew heavy and you neared sleep... until your door slid open and your girlfriend killjoy stormed in, immediately chatting your ear off about something she just created.

once she noticed you nearly asleep, her mouth shut as you turned around to face her.

"i... uh, sorry." she laughed sheepishly. "i didn't know you were napping."

"it's alright." you said, sitting up straight and patting the mattress beside you. you were awake now, seeing her had made your heart skip a beat. you wanted to hear whatever she had to say.

she sat down beside you, sending the blanket flying as she crossed her legs and snuggled close to you, cradling her invention in her palms.

"it's a new and improved swarm grenade!" she said, grinning with a chuckle. "i can't exactly... demonstrate it for you right now without ruining something but i just wanted to show you."

"it's awesome kj." you said, smiling back at her. your girlfriend was so smart and talented it was hard not to be proud of her. "you're so amazing." you complimented her.

immediately her eyes widened and she glanced away. "i... don't know about that." she said, chewing on her lip as she looked down at her hands.

"of course you are! i'm so lucky you're my girlfriend." you gush, and she just gets even more shy. her pale cheeks turning a dusted pink as her black hair falls across her face.

"you really mean all that?" she says, turning to you and smiling, dare you say the most genuine  you've ever seen her do.

"of course!"

kj goes silent for a few beats, twiddling the swarm grenade in her palms as she finally turns to you again.

"i love you y/n." she breathes, her glasses titled on her nose as her beanie sags on her jet black hair.

you were surprised at first, not expecting her to say that.

"i love you too kj." you replied, smiling lightly. she grinned ear to ear in response and grabbed your face in her gloved hands, kissing you quickly with a giggle as she let you go.

you'd known you'd loved her for a long time now, you just never had the courage to say it, but she did it for you.

"i'm so glad you feel the same." she said, genuine relief in her voice. "i've felt that way for a long time."

"so have i. i was just too scared to tell you, especially with protocol and all." you said, sighing. protocol was strictly against romantic relationships with others (out or inside of protocol). the rule made sense. a lot less people get hurt this way, but the overwhelming feelings you had for killjoy could never keep you back. and you were lucky enough she felt the same.

"i hate that stupid rule. it's not like anyone follows it anyway. i mean, look at jett and phoenix." she scoffs. her cute german accent rolling off her tongue.

she rests her head on your shoulder, once again playing with the swarm grenade. part of you were worried she'd set it off by accent.

slowly, the two of you lay down on the bed, her cuddling into you. a few short conversations and playful flirtatious whispers later you were both asleep, curved into each other. your bodies fit like puzzle pieces and it was almost like it was fate you were both brought into hell together. protocol was both the best and worst thing in your life.

A/N: i haven't written in so long this is so ass i'm sorry lol. i was kinda just writing whatever came to my head so sorry if it's not amazing but i still think it's a little cute ;) enjoy