|| Chapter XXIII ||

Start from the beginning

"Push it."

I glanced at the kid once, and after a few seconds, bent down to his height, and slowly applied some force on the said brick.

The piece immediately gave way, and soon several bricks moved together at once, revealing a small doorway, just at enough height to probably handle one person. You'd have to crawl to get in, though.

"So there's a secret entrance here, huh?" I mumbled incoherently. I slowly looked at (F/N), who had an uneasy and fearful expression on his face.

"What's wrong?"

"..... I hope she got away safely," he muttered slowly. "Away from those bad guys..... that fire-man....."

I unconsciously gripped my coat a little harder.

So he's out there, ruining the lives of other kids as well?

"Come on. Your sister made it through, I'm sure. We'll find her soon," I reassured the young boy, and he nodded.

The kid, being of small stature, easily walked in through the hole in the wall, but I had to bend and squirm over a bit to finally get myself in. Of course, not gonna mention the help from the kid, who was pulling me by my collar from the other side.

I picked myself up hastily, and slowly picked up the child on my back. "Don't walk too much. Your injuries haven't healed yet."

"Okay," he breathed out slowly.

"Close your eyes," I ordered.

"..... why?" he asked me with a confused look on his face.

"Just..... don't ask. Close your eyes."

He stared at me for a few seconds, but meekly obeyed me, and closed his eyes, burying his head in my neck once again. His soft, warm breathing hit my neck in rhythmic movements. 

He doesn't need to see the horrors inside the mansion again.

I braced myself for whatever was to come, and slowly took my first step into the Estate's Vast Forest. The shrubs and small weeds seemed to have grown a lot because of the incessant rain throughout the week, and I carefully avoided stepping on anything nasty.

I traced the inner side of the wall, eventually hiding behind the trees or shrubs in case of any suspicious movement beyond the forest.

As soon as I exited the forest, a grim sight greeted me.

In front of me were several bodies, all mutilated and severed. From their apparel, I could make out maids, butlers, drivers, houseservants, cooks.....

The blood had dried up on the floor, but some diluted blood continued to remain, courtesy to the heavy rainfall Tokyo has been witnessing for the past week. The stench from the pile of corpses was unbelievable.

"Kid, bury your nose deep down in my collar, yeah?"

He nodded again, and pushed his nose even deeper into my hood.

I left the gruesome scene behind, and walked over to the broken-down part of the west side of the Mansion.

It had been over 10 minutes. I finally reached the spot that the kid told me about.