Yet Another Chamber

"Royal flush," Jack announced... again.

"No way!" Jake threw down his cards. Jakob followed suit. "You had a terrible hand, I could see it in your eyes," he glared at his twin.

Jack shrugged and spread his hand out on the table. Ten through ace of diamonds. "Looks like your mind reading needs some touch-ups,"

"Looks like someone shouldn't be allowed to shuffle," Jake shot back, confiscating the deck.

Jakob rubbed his face with his hands. "This wasn't a good idea,"

"You're playing poker with a magician and a mentalist," Josh munched, watching the game over a bowl of cereal. "Doesn't take much to figure out that your odds of success are... just about not there,"

"I'm sure my luck's run out," Jack announced... again... "Another round?"

DONG! DONG! DONG! The family emergency bell broke through Jakob's internal debate between either suicide or murder.

The three dropped everything and rushed to the living room. Josh loped after them with a spoon hanging from his mouth.

They found Mom standing beside a large, ornamental, brass bell at the far corner of the room. Leo and Cassie already sat on the couch looking at her, with Pig (the family cat) asleep between them.

"Come sit down," Mom instructed them. The look on her face indicated good news. "We're just waiting on Sierra, and-"

Dennis sprinted into the room and dove behind his mother's legs for protection.

"WHERE IS HE?!" Sierra shrieked, thundering down the stairs. "I'LL YANK THE BRAT'S GREASY LITTLE HAIR UNTIL IT'S LONGER THAN JOSH'S!"

Dennis glanced at Josh's hair in obvious alarm.

"Better run, fucker," Josh suggested. "She means business,"

"You won't lay a finger on the angel!" Mom snapped. "What do you think he did?"

Sierra turned her head to the side and showed them all a large piece of flypaper, buried in the luxurious layers of her perfect hair.

"Impossible," Mrs. Chamber waved off the accusation. "The flypaper is on the top shelf of the hall closet, he's way too short to reach it. Aren't you, sweetie?"

Dennis puffed out his lower lip and nodded sadly, shooting the group a mischievous grin, when she turned back to face Sierra.

"I don't know why you all are always blaming Dennis for everything that goes wrong," Mom sighed. "Well, as long as we're all here, I have some news I'd like to share... We're adopting another child!"

The living room exploded into shouts of "What?" and "Isn't eight enough?" as well as simply: "Not again..."

Billy walked in (using the door this time) unnoticed for a moment, amidst all the drama. "What happened?" He asked.

"Nothing that concerns random thieves," Jakob snapped, the amusement in his eyes being replaced by pure loathing at the sight of Billy.

"I want a new kid," Mom informed him.

"What's wrong with your old ones?" Jake and Jack demanded.

"Nothing!" Mom insisted, then looked over the group. "Well... not much..."

"You're really taking this 'one more mouth to feed' thing pretty seriously," Cassie observed.

"Does Dad know about this?" Leo wondered aloud.

"What happened to your hair?" Billy asked.

"D.B. put flypaper in it!" Sierra pouted, then cocked her head to give him a closer look. "Do you think you could get it out?"