Chapter 20

Hopes pov

I was sitting on the plane waiting for everyone to board. They told us they needed to do some quick maintenance on the plane before we could take off. So we all exit the plane and head back to the waiting room.

I decided to try and call Hayley while I wait until we board again. I try calling her and It rings and rings eventually going to voicemail. Maybe she's just busy driving home. I'd rather her get home safe then worrying about being on a phone call with me. I decided to send her a quick text.

Me: Hey Baby, my flights been delayed. We got on and they needed to do maintenance so we're of the plane and waiting for the all clear to go back. I tried calling but you must be busy driving. I love you, please text me when you get home.

I turn on my playlist and watch the other planes land and take off. It turns out my flight was delayed a lot longer due to maintenance then they expected. This was the last flight of the night so  we had to wait until the next flight In the morning.

I tried calling Hayley a few different times to see if she could pick me up from the airport but I never got a response. I was starting to get worried. We share each other's locations so I decided to check It and I see she's stopped on a road about 15 miles from where she lives. I'm kind of surprised she's not home yet since she left over an hour ago and the drive is maybe 30-45 minutes.

I get a text from a random number.

???: Hey Hope, this is Hayley's mom. Have you spoken with Hayley? She should have been home by now.

Me: Hey Mrs Gray. I haven't heard from her since she left the airport.  I tried calling a few times but I can't seem to get a hold of her. My flight was delayed so I am headed to a hotel for the night and I fly out in the morning. Just waiting on  my Uber, maybe I'll head back to your house to help you look.

I grab my bag and head back through security. I get my other bag at baggage claim and head outside to my Uber. He gets out and puts my bags in and I get in the back and give him the address. He begins driving and I check where Hayley's location is at and It looks like it's the same spot as It was a while ago.

"Do you mind taking a left up here?  I need to check something. I ask

"Sure." He says taking a left

It was a two lane road and it's showing she's about a mile ahead. I drop a pin and send It to Hayley's mom and let her know her phone is saying she's somewhere around here.

I see a car off to the left, It looks like It hit a light pole or something.

Shit can you call 911? I ask as I get out of the car and run over to the driver.

"Sir are you okay?" I ask

He was mumbling incoherently and he smelled very drunk.

"We just called 911, they will be here shortly." I say

He's pointing at something behind means I turn around but I don't see anything.

"What? What's over there?" I ask

"Truck." He says

"You hit a truck?" I ask

He just nods before going out of It. My Uber driver runs over.

"Police and ambulance should arrive soon." He says

"Stay with him, he said he hit a truck and It must have gotten knocked into the ditch." I said running across the street and looking down the ditch and my heart sank.