Chapter Thirty-Two

….

Asumi clings to her mate as he stands up, holding her in his arms. “It feels like this place is about to collapse!” Shippo exclaims, from Miroku’s shoulder. “That’s because it IS!” Sango yells over the sounds of the trembling castle.

Sasuke growls, looking to his young, one day to be mate, and takes her, holding her much like a Cat would hold a kitten. [This way!] He barks and starts running.
“Let’s go!” Kagome yells, following Sasuke.
“K-koga, Where’s Koyo?” Asumi asks, her voice fragile. “Baby.. Asumi, I… I don’t know.” Sasuke lets a whine slip through his teeth, telling Koga all he needs to know. “Asumi.. Let’s talk about this later.” Asumi nods slowly, burying her face in Koga’s shoulder, feeling Secure and safe in her mates arms.
“Dammit!,” Inuyasha yells as they reach a dead end. “This isn’t good..” Miroku says, looking around at their other options. “Which way now?!” Sango asks, also examining other avenues. “This way!” Koga yells, continuing to run. They follow him, rubble and large pieces of castle falling all around them, almost hitting them, quite a few times.

“AHHH!” Everyone turns towards Kagome’s scream, to see that she is only seconds away from becoming crushed by a falling chunk of wall. “KAGOME!” Inuyasha yells, running to her rescue, and grabbing her with only half a second to spare. “Are you okay?” Sango asks, worried. “Yeah, I’m fine.. Thank you Inuyasha.” “Yeah yeah, let’s just get out of here” Is his answer.

They continue running, only to reach another dead end. “Dammit!!!! We’re never going to make it.”Koga growls in aggravation. “I-I’m just a kid! I-I can’t D-die yet!” Shippo gulps. “Don’t worry Shippo, we’ll find a way.”
A pause of silence in talking, until Asumi opens her mouth. “Left.” Is all she says. “Huh? “ Everyone looks at her. Again she speaks the same word. “Left.” Koga nods, Trusting his mate’s instinct. “Let’s go then.” He says. “You expect us to listen to that kid?!” Inuyasha exclaims. Kagome scowls, “Let’s just go!” Kagome says. Inuyasha scowls, “Fine, but it’s all your fault if we wind up dead!” he scoffs.

Koga runs with all his might, and Inuyasha picks up Kagome to make things faster. Miroku and Sango ride on Kirara.
A moment later, they see a spark of light. Not just any light, but SUNlight. They had finally made it out.  Half a second after they make it to the forest surroundings, the castle finished collapsing. They all breathe a sigh of relief. Koga grins, “What was that about not trusting my mate?” He brags. Inuyasha growls, scowling at Koga. “Uh oh, we’d better go before the fight starts, Kagome.” Sango states. Kagome sighs and nods in agreement. “Let’s go.” She smiles at Asumi, “I’m glad you’re okay.” Asumi smiles back, “Thank you!” After a moment, the Inuyasha gang leaves.

“Asumi..” Koga starts, falling to his knees, still holding her closely in his arms. “I missed you so, so much.. I was scared..” Asumi clings closer to him, “Don’t leave me again..” “I won’t. I promise… I promise I won’t.” Asumi buries her face back in his neck. “Where’s Koyo?” She asks a second time. “He’s.. Gone to be with Kiba, Asumi.” A single tear falls from Asumi’s eye. “I.. I’m glad.” “You are?” She nods slowly, feeling guilty for Kiba dying. “Uh huh.. He missed her a lot.. Like I missed you.” He stands up, and starts carrying her back to the cave. “Let’s go get you cleaned up, Asumi.”
She smells of her own blood, and that is something he does not need to be reminded of.
“K-koga.. He.. He has my Mommy and Daddy..” Koga stops and looks at her. “He what..?
“He has Mommy and Daddy.” She says again. “Asumi, that’s impossible, they’re…” Asumi starts sniffling. “Shhh…” Koga’s blood boils at knowing Naraku is manipulating their bodies. The bodies of Asumi’s parents. And using them against her.

He stops along the way at a hotspring, slowly peeling Asumi’s ruined clothes off of her, and Whining at the various cuts that are already scarred, or beginning to scar, The reminder that will always be there.
“I’m sorry..” She looks at the ground, tears falling from her eyes. He looks at her, surprised. “What are you sorry for?” “I wasn’t strong enough,” Tears turn to sobbing, sobs that make Koga’s blood rise in anger at Naraku, and sobs that break his heart, one piece at a time. “Shhhh,” He holds his now fragile mate closely. No matter what, he knows that the scars will always be there. Will always be there to remind him, and her both, what happened. What happened when they were apart. The lesson, that should not have had to be taught.