eight | fear is a mortal trait

Start from the beginning

Hearing Hermione say the words out loud solidified the dread in Dahlia's throat. Her eyes darted around, like a hunted animal waiting to flee. Behind her, the crowd of students rippled anxiously. No one in their right mind wanted to face their worst fears in front of their peers.

Lupin, seeing the unease of her classmates, raised his hands in surrender. "You'll be fine, because there's a charm which repels a boggart and its effects. The Riddikulus Charm, or the Boggart-Banishing Spell, works to turn the boggart's display into a source of amusement or fun. If the caster is able to laugh in the presence of a boggart, it will be consequently defeated. Er — ten points to Gryffindor."

Lupin paced once more, looking over the class as he rattled off random facts about boggarts, occasionally pausing to answer a question.

"But suppose you didn't know the spell," said Professor Lupin. "You all still have an advantage against the boggart. What is it and why do we have it? Hm — how about the young Gryffindor in the back? Care to explain?"

The class turned as they craned their necks to see who the professor was talking about. Dahlia froze as the heads of the third-years turned to look at her. An uncomfortable silence hung in the sunny classroom. "Uh..." she said lamely. "There's too many of us. We can confuse the boggart because it won't know what to show up as," she finished curtly, not daring to look the professor in the eye. (Not in true Gryffindor fashion.)

"Brilliant! Ten points to Gryffindor," exclaimed the young professor, moving on immediately, like he couldn't bear to interact with her.

Dahlia wondered why that was, because he had just asked her a question that he could have directed to anyone else in the room. Adults were weird. Go figure.

"Now, if everyone could form a single-file line in front of the wardrobe so we can try the new charm."

Various shuffling sounds ensued as the students fought to be in the back of the line. Thirty seconds later, when the dust had cleared, Neville was at the front. From far to we back in the line, his ears looked red, and Dahlia felt kind of sorry for him.

"Alright," instructed Professor Lupin. Repeat after me, wands away, please. We don't want to mess anything up. Ready—Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" the class said together.

"This class is ridiculous," grumbled Malfoy under his breath from the back of the group.

"Now, it isn't enough to just say the charm. To truly repel a boggart, you must imagine something funny. When you cast the spell, grow your worst fear into fun. What will you do?"

Dahlia heard Ron mutter, "Take off its legs." His worst fear was probably a spider, especially since the colossal train wreck that had been Aragog last year.

She had no idea what her own worst fear was, given the horrors that she'd experienced so far in her life as a witch. You-Know-Who, the basilisk, possibly even Hermione...

Well, wasn't she in for a fun time?

After Professor Lupin had explained how to visualise the boggart turning into their desired result — with a vague reference to a big red handbag — the class was waiting for the professor to start.

"Okay — hit it, Mr Longbottom," said Lupin, and gave his wand an sharp flick.

All was silent as Dahlia and her classmates held their breath and watched as the door of the wardrobe open with a drawn-out creak. Then the door fully opened, and out stepped Professor Snape.

In the front of the line, Neville gave a terrified squeak as the boggart/Professor Snape stalked slowly towards him. Dahlia had to admit, it was a good likeness. The sun sloped off his hooked nose and he looked particularly sallow in the light. His long black robes billowed dramatically behind him, as if caught on some nonexistent draft in the classroom.