"I believe you have finally realised. Of course, if I guarantee your sister's safety, who would I use for your brother and mother's deal? They would reject my kind offer. That's why it would be good to keep in mind your life is not only in your hands. It is indeed a great deal, Miss Ogilvy. I hope you make the right decision." She didn't have time to think about anything else. Later, she would think through every little detail. But, for now, there were more dangerous things in front of her that needed her full attention.

"I'll do it. I accept your proposal, sir." She was furious, but the feeling of determination to keep her family alive and well was more powerful than anything.

"Delightful. I will inform you that this deal will take place after you have won your own Hunger Games. If you die, before, during or after the Games, the deal will cease to exist, understood?" "Yes, sir," she replied.

"I will not stop you from meeting Finnick Odair on your midnight meet-ups, but it would be wise to act like you don't know each other in public. Having such a wonderful boy in love with you would attract many eyes in your direction," his advice was actually a warning. And a powerful one. He knew of her meeting Finnick at the beach, where they were supposed to be safe.

With that, he also told her not to get more attention than necessary. "Sir, may I let my family know about this deal?" He shifted his position a bit, clearly wondering about her question.

"Dear, there's no need to address me so formally. About your question, I believe it would be acceptable to let your family know about our deal. I will allow you to tell Mister Odair, too. However, keep your influence on their own deals a secret. I would prefer to inform them myself after your Games. Of course, if you make it out alive." Once he got up from his chair, Dove knew the conversation was over.

So I can only tell about my volunteering for Angel for the reaping and my newfound illness. She thought, while following the man out of the study. Dove put on her best smile to make it look as if nothing had happened in the past half hour.

She met her sister's worried eyes once they were in the living room, saying goodbye to the President. Outside the window, a car appeared out of nowhere, then faded away into the distance. It slipped off as it had arrived, unnoticed.

"What the hell was all that about?" Her sister was the first to talk after making sure there was no possibility of being overheard. If only you knew. We're being eavesdropped every day of our lives. . . Does he get people to watch over all Victors, or does he not have a life? She thought, trying to joke with the situation she was in. Angel was a mess. She had been passing around the living room since Dove had been taken to the study.

"I have something to tell you, and you're not going to like it." Dove exhaled. She didn't know if it was the nerves of having that man threaten her family or the realisation of her potential death at the Arena. She had determined to volunteer for her sister before, but now it was real. 

Dove had no other option but to exchange her life for Angel's. President Snow had been clear about the winning of anyone else who wasn't her, impossible to obtain.

"Dove, you're scaring me. What happened?" You have a rather good reason to be scared. Your life is in my hands. She thought bitterly. There was no way she would let her sister go to The Hunger Games. Moreover, when she had just been informed Snow would make sure her sister died.

"I'll tell you at Mags' house. If we take any more time to arrive, she'll get awfully worried," her sister complied, and both walked to the elder house. It was the furthest away from their own, a good two minutes until they got there. No one talked, just silence.

Once they got there, Mags received them, obviously worried. It wasn't normal for the girls to take that long to arrive. At moments like this, Dove was grateful for having grown up with her older brother, who had one of the biggest District Four accents she had heard, closely followed by Mags. She was certain, if she wasn't from Four or didn't have her brother, she wouldn't understand the elderly woman.