Celebration

Azula just sat there for a while, feeling Asuka's warm gaze upon her, her mind battling over what would be the most appropriate reaction. The warden noticed this and said drily but not emotionlessly:

„Good thing I made you sit down. I can tell you're quite overwhelmed. Did you expect a different outcome?"

Azula mustered the coolness and courage to reply: „I prepared myself for either possibility."

Asuka was already seated again. She continued once she felt the young woman wasn't going to do so herself.

„You're not the first to react this way. I prepared for it after the Fire Lord shared your confession with me. It's something few on the outside understand. Freedom brings, well, freedom, but it also brings greater responsibility. I know it is daunting, but you still have wings, little bird. You might have spent a long time in a cage but you'll learn to fly again."

If there is one thing Azula could be sure about the warden it's that she never had any problem speaking her mind or making her true feelings known. They were often harsh, speaking painful truths wasn't a problem for her. This also meant that the more rare moments when she expressed praise and faith couldn't be doubted either. Azula silently and respectfully bowed her head to show gratitude and said:

„Thanks for believing in me."

The warden wasted no moment by warmly adding:

„You should thank yourself first for justifying that faith. You are the most exemplary prisoner of my career. Considering how you started, it is nothing short of amazing."

„Well, you had the tools and the motivation too. I'm sure my brother's generous funding for this institution helped." she responded with a bit of good natured sarcasm.

„Perceptive as always. I admit, I'll kinda miss you."

„I'll convince the Fire Lord not to decrease your means."

„That would be very much appreciated... and I promise to treat you fairly if you ever come back here. Though, I do hope for your sake that we'll never see each other again."

Azula nodded politely, noting how the once so stern and disciplinarian woman treated her almost like a good acquaintance already, like a free person. She couldn't help but find some satisfaction in that.

„Should I start packing my things?"

„No, not quite yet. I only just received the news confirming the decision, and I wanted to have the pleasure of being the first to inform you. However, It will take about a month or so until the paperwork is done and the conditions of your parole are set up successfully. It looks like you'll spend your 25th birthday here. I'm sorry about that."

„Lucky I rarely feel sorry for myself, I'll make the best of it. My friends here and my family outside will come up with something, like every year. Could you, instead, tell me a bit about the conditions the board agreed on?"

„There isn't too much written in the letter but ask away."

Azula sighed with a hint of annoyance at the vagueness she kept insisting to be avoided.

„Lets start with the most pressingly obvious, where will I live? I doubt there is a chance of coming back to the palace, with all the uproar it may cause, never mind the ever present danger of my brother's wife murdering me the first chance she gets."

Asuka suppressed a smile and the urge to comment on the royal family dynamics and said:

„You are prohibited from entering the Forbidden City but you are allowed to live in and travel within the limits of the capital city itself. That means you are not allowed to leave it without express permission. Also, you are not allowed to visit your father for the time being."