Chapter 28

The Garrison was mostly empty apart from Grace and Harry. As Tommy announced what drinks they were allowed, Rose slipped by to stand with Grace. Though strangely, and for no reason she could explain, the barmaid was pale, and nervous to even look at her. There was an uneasiness to her that made Rose lean against the wall of the snug confused. But Tommy did not seem to notice a thing, rubbing his hands together to help her pour the beers. She questioned him like a wife would do their husband, asking every last detail to make sure he knew what he was doing. But of course he did, he was Thomas Shelby, why was Grace asking so much?

Rose stood there absentmindedly, trying to catch her friend's attention so she could ask why she was being so timid. Though soon Tommy stopped listening to her questions to stand with Rose, letting all the conversation die around them so he could focus on her. She was far from nervous, she believed in him, she believed that his plan would be successful. Passing her a drink, Tommy flicked some hair off her shoulder just to capture her attention that was so easily consumed.

"After this is done, I want to talk about us," he said quietly.

"And what should I expect from this... Talk?" Rose turned her head to him and it was all clear again. He was smiling.

He slid closer if he could and stared ahead at his brothers and the other men, "all good things Rose. All good things."

Grace's attention then turned to Rose, who comfortably leant against Tommy as he was passed a drink of his own, the two of them rejoining conversation with John and Arthur. The barmaid bit her lip and walked to Rose, tapping her arm and flicking her head to the storage room. She mumbled something about the barrel being empty, which Rose hardly heard under her shaking voice, but she soon left into the other room shutting the door behind her. Turning her head to Tommy, he once again did not bat an eye. He was all too consumed with their mission for that day that he didn't notice that Grace was acting so peculiar. How wrong was it for Rose to accuse her when she's acting the same as she did then?

Following after her, she found the woman facing away from her crying. The last time she saw her in such a state it was after the races, though Rose could not put together why she was acting this way now. Rose rested a hand on her arm and the woman almost did not turn around. She was a delicate golden chain holding so much weight on her mind Rose could tell, and even after everything, she still cared for her friend enough to ask.

"Grace what's the matter?"

"Rose, after today, I'm leaving."

"Why?" She questioned, "look, I know things haven't been pleasant here and between us but... Tommy is turning things around. When he gets back, everything will have cleared, and he'll stop some of the things that makes this town so dangerous."

"Rose-"

"He will make a success about it, and it could change the lives of everyone."

"I know. I know," she said shakily.

Rose took Grace's hands and squeezed them, "I'm still your friend, you can still talk to me."

"Rose, I have done something terrible to you and Tommy."

She stared in the eyes of her friend and for a second it all clicked. Her doubt in herself personified in the gentle eyes of her close friend. Rose had no clue what Grace meant and yet at the same time she knew entirely. She imagined the worse because there's always a gut wrenching part that slices through the heart of the observer. In that moment she wished she never finished a book in her life, just so that she could not read a situation like it was a mere recipe she had perfected some time ago.

The door opened behind her and Tommy took her arm, only briefly catching the tears in Grace's eyes. But he did not care in that moment as he frantically tugged Rose along, it did not matter the reason Rose was holding the crying woman. It could be anything he thought, it could be none of his concern. Tommy pushed through the doors of the Garrison without a word, holding Rose tightly as if she were to slip and be lost in the mud.