Chapter 23

Rose knew the Garrison would be closed when she arrived. She deliberately found a time so that there would be no one else around to disturb them, and so that she could speak without fear of listeners. Her job with the Shelby's gave her flexibility, and saying she was out looking at fabrics gave her flexibility. It was not a full lie, as she did have to look at new fabrics, though that was an activity after she spoke to Grace.

A plan would have been smart, though she was not like Tommy. She imagined if he was in her position, he would not have to worry about having a plan as he always had his methods thought out. Why she kept imagining herself as Tommy she was not sure. Normally she would project herself as a book character, daydreaming herself in her favourite novels where school and responsibilities were nonexistent. But the best way to get through the ragged streets of Birmingham was to pretend to be him, act unafraid of each man she passed as she had better places to be. However, after all the projection and acting, she still did not have a plan, and storming the Garrison with accusations could lead to a multitude of different responses. And if she did do it, there could be so many reasons as to why.

She did not see Grace as a bad person. Possibly nosey, one to ask too many questions, a jealous streak perhaps... though there were no clear indications that she was no more than just that. Knocking on the Garrison door, she paused as Grace made her way to open it, a both surprised and pleased expression. At first she was not sure if she was going to be allowed in, as Grace mostly stood there between her and the entrance. Eventually she let her inside, heading back to the books she had laid out on one of the tables. Rose trailed her,  awkwardly waiting by the table unsure how to start the conversation. Timidly sitting down, Rose busied herself with taking out her sketchbook, acting as though she had nothing on her mind, but the question was weighing her down.

"You don't normally visit at this time," Grace smiled at her book, writing in numbers.

"Well... I felt like having the company," Rose lied to her, though the silence of the Garrison over the betting den was nice.

"Is it not nice working at the Shelby's?" Grace wondered, and Rose's head snapped up. Now it seemed her questions did not feel so innocent, so simple as just a concerned friend. Now it felt like she was asking them in specific ways, to get her to say what she wanted. She should not accuse she kept telling herself... Though her hunch was something she could not dissolve if she did not ask.

Shrugging, she said, "no I like it, but it has been rather tense because Tommy ratted Freddie to the police..."

Maybe she'd admit something if she coaxed her into it, like a patron who decided to give the tip to the police, or someone saying something as the boys got drunker and drunker. If she had information, she was not the type to keep it hidden. She worked for Tommy, Rose would assume that constitutes being willing to give any information she receives. Though then there are the questions and suspicious behavior, and Rose then was not sure if she'd be truthful or if she'd lie through her teeth.

"Do you think it was Thomas?" Grace questioned skeptically.

"All the signs point to him, though I'd like to believe he didn't..."

Grace stopped writing and stared at her, "why wouldn't it be him? With what he did at the races?"

"He's not exactly too favourable of the police... I'm not sure he would care to help them."

"When has he ever given you an explanation for what he does?"

"He doesn't always need to- look I just think that there could be another cause to all of this-"

"Like if I did it?" She folded her arms and Rose froze. Was that her answer, was that her definite? They were sat across from each other in a stand still, the two newcomers feigning for claim over what little land they could own. Grace's face was straight, like Tommy's, void of any emotion that could give away the truth of her words. She had come with accusations and now Grace was steadying her as though Rose came to fight.