Chapter 37

I put the phone back in the cradle and took another pull off the drink. Esto had an electric clock on the wall behind his desk featuring a picture of a waterfall and an old mill. It was nearly nine.

"What's the matter," Esto said. "Michelle is angry with you?"

"I almost got her fired," I said. He looked puzzled and I explained. "I think a policeman and some men who worked at the quarry were involved in my brother's death," I said. "I asked Michelle to help get evidence, but it got her in trouble. She trusted me and I blew it."

"No one is perfect, my friend," Esto said. "She cares for you. She'll forgive your mistakes."

"How can you know that?" I asked. "You only saw us together one time."

"I saw the way she looks at you," he said. "When a woman looks at a man that way, that's it!" he said. "She loves him and mistakes don't change that. Don't give up on her so easily."

"I'm not so sure,'' I said. "She just told me to go to hell."

"That means nothing. Hardly a day passes without my Celeste wishing me into the fiery pit!"

His face was so sincere that I burst out laughing. "You're an insane optimist," I said.

He put his arms out palms up and said "I have to be."

"Why is that?" I asked.

"If I miss one loan payment, my restaurant it will be taken from me," he said. "If I don't have a good month each month, I might as well not open the doors."

"What kind of loan do you have?" I asked. I had never heard of a bank foreclosing after one missed payment.

"A very expensive one, my friend. No bank would make me a loan, so I go to man who will loan money. But the loan is very expensive."

"A loan shark," I said.

He nodded. "I make just enough each month to make payment, no more."

I didn't tell Esto that I had been a loan officer at a bank and that I had turned down dozens of small businessmen like him for loans, sending them to the loan sharks for their money.

I took a small sip of my drink. It felt warm in my stomach now, and my aches were fading.

"But that is not your problem," he said. "Let us talk of other things." He picked up my bottle and poured another inch into my glass. I didn't think I would drink any more. I felt wasted from what I had drunk to that point.

"Esto," I said. "Did you tell me you thought you catered a party for Bullard?"

"Yes, last winter. For about twenty people, I think."

"Can you tell me about it?"

He shrugged. "I get a call from a man who called himself Bullard. He say he want to 'put on a feed,' I think, at his house on a Saturday night. I tell him I would send our menu for him to look at, but he says that the food must be authentic, not what we serve here. He say he has guests from across the border."

Esto took a sip of his tequila. He seemed full of energy and his eyes were clear. His metabolism seemed unaffected by the alcohol.

"My cooks come in early that day and they make a beautiful meal. I took it out to his house at about six. He show me place to put the food and pay in cash. Then I leave." Esto had an odd look on his face as if he had thought of something that troubled him.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"Well, the other people there for the party looked very tough, and they spoke only Spanish. I remember I was surprised these men would know a rich white man. But there were two dancers waiting outside that night by my car, waiting for the party to start. Women who take off their clothes for men, you know? One of the women asked me if I wanted to have a private party with her before Bullard's party started." He had a mischievous smile.

"And did you?" I asked.

"She was very pretty, my friend," Esto said. "And many women are weak for me, because of my looks. But my Celeste would pull my fingernails out if I even touched such a ripe young tomato."

I laughed again.

"But I know where to see the tomato if you would like to take a look for yourself. She told me to visit her at the Red Glove if I changed my mind. Maybe she would talk to you."

"I'd like that," I said. I wanted to ask her about what Bullard and his friends had done after Esto left. If she was there for the party, she might know something that would give me leverage on Bullard.

"It would be my pleasure to take you to this place," Esto said. "In spite of my pure heart I will do my duty for a friend. I could do no less." He made the sign of the cross on himself. "Let us hope my Celeste does not find out."